Heat Pumps and Fireplaces

Hello. We are building a new house and installing a heat pump as our main source of heat - can we have a fireplace as well? If so, is propane or electic better with the heat pump?

Thanks, Cathy

Reply to
cathywoodford

Well, under federal code 09423094792387489237489 you're only allowed

1.0006 heat sources per home. So, for seconday heat source you are obliged to choose between a Channukah candle and a lapdog.

As to the heat pump, they tend to be electric. Though, they can use propane for an auxiliary heat source. Fire places can burn wood, propane, natural gas, or they can be electric.

Most places in the US, propane is cheaper than electric as a heat source. Though, heat pumps are good.

I'd reccomend talking to several heating contractors in your area. Since different parts of the country use different heaqing equipment.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Cathy, The answer is no. You can NOT have a fireplace for your main source of heat if your heat pump is your main source of heat. I would chose a propane heat pump. Those electric ones are whimpy. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Check into contractors who sell geothermal systems in your area. With fossil fuel prices not predicted to return to their former levels of several years ago (DOE), a geothermal unit can save around 60% v.s. a conventional system.

On a new construction job, the annual net positive cash flow v.s. a conventional system after the added amount to the mortgage payment for the incremental cost can be quite significant.

Reply to
GeoLegacy