Furnaces with AFUE of over 90 percent: variable speed motors

I am looking to replace a 30+ year old furnace,made by Chrysler, which has finally died. RIP. The first hvac representative that I talked to stated he doesn't install 90 percent+ units because they break down too much. Thus the savings in energy costs are wiped out by costs is repairs. Is he correct? The furnace was Rheems(100k btu), which has a

20 warranty on the heat exchanger and a 5 year limited warranty on parts. I 'll be talking to a Carrier rep tomorrow.

Are the variable speed(2-speed)motors at risk for breaking down more than the one speed variety? Are they really more energy efficient?

And are those UV lamps worthwhile?

Finally, does anyone have experience with Home Depot or Sears. Home Depot installs Trane and Sears installs Carriers. I obtained my list of potential contractors through the BBB, and narrowed down the list to ones who were members of the BBB and didn't have any complaints in the past 36 months. I assume Home Depot subcontracts and Sears has their own guys do the work.

Thanks

Reply to
Doe John

Also, my current unit may have at most been 50 percent efficient. I'm being very generous. I'm basing this on the lack of veritcal height on the burning gas in the furnace.

Reply to
Doe John

I have been a Rheem dealer for 10 years and have never had a problem with the high efficiency furnaces. The only problems my customers have had were on builder grade furnaces that were installed by the lowest bidder.

Reply to
Noon-Air

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 15:14:43 -0500, Doe John wrote:

90% eff furnace probably have a couple more parts. Prob no more repairs than an 80% eff furnace. Sounds like someone was handing you a line. Id guess you may have an installation where running the PVC intake and exhaust pipes might be just a bit difficult. Id prob look for someone else to use. That one sounds lazy. Whatever you get ask for a 5 or 10 yr parts AND LABOR warranty. That'll cover your breakdowns if they happen. The var spd motors and the muti-speed standard motors probably have the same life span. Its just the var spd motor is a lot more expensive to replace. Energywise is worth the extra cost? Probably over 10 yrs it is but Id be buying the var spd for comfort........not electricity savings. UV lights worthwhile? Define worthwhile. UV lights are an indoor air quality product. They perform a certain task. NOTHING cures all your indoor air quality problems and makes your allergies disappear. Home Depot and Sears? Both contract out your work. Why go there when you can go straight to the horses mouth by chosing your own professional hvac company? Dont put all your eggs in one basket over the fact that the BBB has "Members". All that means is that company has paid the BBB a fee and says they will follow some sort of BBB rules. Id rather pick someone that has an unbiased opinion than a company (BBB) that has "members" pay them a fee to be in their "buddy-buddy" group. Find friends, neighbors, relatives and co-workers that have a hvac company they are happy with. There, you have now been blessed with all the information you should ever need. Feel free to fill my Pay-Pal account till it "runnith-over" Bubba :-)
Reply to
Bubba

Doe John posted for all of us...

Did a LOT of research didn't you? what a putz!

Your name should be Doe Jane and your welcome.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Let me take a wild guess. You still live with your mother and you claim your problems are caused by so called dyslexia. Just admit it, you are just a moron.

Reply to
Doe John

GM Harrison is much better than Chrysler. Be sure to get the extended warranty.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

he probably has little experience with them, but yea, it's more complex so it will break down more

Thus the savings in energy costs are wiped out by costs is

usually the energy savings are wiped out by the extra cost of the furnace, in that you need 15 years or so to break even (depends what assumptions you make concerning future energy prices).

A low btu furnace (70) cost almost as much as high btu furnace (150). So generally there is a fixed extra cost for a high vs low efficiency furnace. Thus the more btu's required the more it makes sense to buy a high efficiency version as you will recoup the extra cost more quickly.

Also, 90% furnaces rarely give 90% for long because they are more difficult to maintained and usually aren't (cause of the $60 to $140 maintenance fee), same can be said for the 80% furnace, but to a lesser extent. Generally you are left in the dark concerning the true efficiency of your home unit.

Reply to
bungalow_steve

The 90s have more parts, and that does make risk of more likely break down. That, I agree with.

I worked for Sears, about 10 years ago. As a repair guy, I really hated a few of their policies. And I'm doubting it's improved much. May I reccomend that you look for a local installer, preferably a company with 10 or fewer techs. I'd think you're more likely to get a fair price, and a good install.

Of course, two speeds are more risk of breaking down.

UV lamps, not sure I know anyone who's got one. Or had one. That should say something.

Trane are more complicated. And proprietary. Hard for other companies to get Trane parts. I wouldn't want a Trane.

Please let us know how things work out for you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Doe John posted for all of us...

Ok, you are a moron! Just take Stormies advice and your pills - all is good.

You still didn't do any research you bipolar window licker.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Cause stormy rubs 2 sticks together to make fire in his house

you never were nor never will be a "repair guy"

10 or fewer? Which ass did you pull that one out of?

Id think you're clueless...........as usual

....again......more clueless bullshit. Tell me Stormy. How many new furnaces do you know of that come with a 2 spd motor? I'll wait while you think about that one.

Yes, its says you're a clueless backwoods dolt that hasnt seen anything more modern than a horse a buggy.

More complicated? Maybe if you're stupid. A furnace is a furnace is a furnace you bonehead. Proprietary? No more than Carrier or some others.

In case you havent looked in a Johnstone book lately, you can find some parts there, genius.

Its complicated, remember? They probably wouldnt want you to have one anyway Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

The variable speed motor you are talking about is probaly a ECM motor and is extremly depenable, but any system with electonics needs a good whole house ground. Poor grounds on older homes have been the only major problem I have seen with these type of motors. Remenber when replacing that old 50% efficenct furnace that the output of a 100m btu furnace was 50,000 btu's and the output of a 100,000btu

90% furnace is 90,000 btu's. You need to size the new furnace to your heat load and the blower must match the AC load requirements. A sec> I am looking to replace a 30+ year old furnace,made by Chrysler, which
Reply to
verne_john