Exploding furnace.

Hello! I seem to have a problem with my (25 year old) furnace. it will run for a few minutes ( up to 20) and then there is what sounds like an explosion and the furnace turns off. when I check it the pilot light has gone out. it seems like this is happening while the furnace is running, not just when it is starting or stopping (but I could be wrong). could this be a symptom of clogged burners? if anyone has any ideas please let me know. Floyd.

Reply to
shroomers_inc

posted for all of us...

The best solution is to spray some brake cleaner in there to clean it out so you can see what is going on.

Reply to
Tekkie®

You know, that sounds dangerous. It likely is an explosion, and only contained by the thin metal walls of your furnace. Time to call a service and repair company.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sure, I have ideas but you don't want to hear them.... and no, I am not gonna tell you how to fix your Jurassic POS furnace thats 5 years past its design service life.

I will however, tell you to call your favorite, local, competent, licensed, insured, professionally trained, Master HVAC technician to have him come replace your worn out POS furnace with a new one that will only use half of the energy and fuel that the old one did.

See... I told you it wasn't what you wanted to hear, and now your gonna get pissy about it, same as the thousands before you have. Another point, The chances of you being a customer of *ANY* of the pros on here is a 4 million to 1 shot.

Now Please go away.

Thanx

Reply to
Noon-Air

Thanks for telling me the one thing that I have not thought of, calling a tech and replacing my old furnace. It also didn't cross my mind that I do not have cash falling out my ass and can't afford a new furnace immediately. Thank you for casting judgment on my character as well. It amazes me how people you can make such a detailed analysis of someone you have never met. You did get one thing right, I didn't want to hear that. Not because I am closing my ears to advice I don't like, but because I didn't ask "Should I replace my furnace". I asked if anyone had come across this symptom and if one likely problem had caused it. So good job missing the point (plus extra credit for being an ass about it).

Floyd.

Reply to
shroomers_inc

Wow. You are one dumb f*ck. I was unaware that you were the director of activities for this board! That you can just tell people to come and go as you please. That you can decide how someone is going to think about what you have to say? Maybe the thousands of others think that you should just stop being a f****ng piss ant and show common decency. Someone looking for advice who doesn't have 800 dollar or more to dish out for their furnace and you are a shit head. Nice.

So how about your f*ck off.

As far as you furnace goes, I have had no experience with furnances and could only say that I would have someone come and check mine out. Sounds kind of scary in the sense that it is something in your house that involves fire and gas...so I would be on the safe side.

Aida

Reply to
snuffit

I don't know who the f*ck you are or what rock you crawled out from under, but he got the best advice *ANYONE* could give, sight unseen. and as far as $800 for a new furnace??? the wholesale cost is almost twice that. So Mr clueless wonder, you can go piss up a rope and suck on the bitter end. You want to be coddled?? go crawl back behind your mama's apron. You want

*FREE* advice?? you got that already. If you want a rate schedule for consulting fees?? I can do that too. Now go back to alt.h*mo.repair where you came from.
Reply to
Noon-Air

See there, I told you you were not gonna like what your told and gonna get pissy about it. Sheesh. I'll bet if your car was 25 years old and hadn't been maintained, you would whine about having to replace it too.

You mean like wanting somebody to diagnose a furnace they have never seen?? No make, model, or serial number... don't know when(if) it was ever serviced, or anything else about it other than its past its normal design life expectancy and its time to put it to bed.

You didn't have to ask.... If you had done any research, you would know that the average design life expectancy of a gas furnace is 18 - 20 years. You would have also known that there is a reason that anual maintenance recomended.

Yes, its broken, and I hope you insurance is paid up.

I didn't miss the point at all, and I wasn't being an ass..... I simply stated facts. if you want me to be an ass, I can do that too.

Reply to
Noon-Air

I think its a symptom of clogged brain cells. Call a tech and have it repaired.

Your welcome, now get the f*ck out of here.

Reply to
Anonymous

What Poon-Air is saying is that he's upset that he didn't get into the roofing business, where asphalt shingles really do last only 15 years and he can count on regular business.

Instead he's in the HVAC business, where furnaces lasting 30 and 40 years are more the norm than the exception, and he wishes home owners came to him every 20 years for a new furnace.

But that doesn't happen, so he and others like him come to hate home owners because of it, even more so when they come here to ask questions that don't result in any extra business for him or others of his kind.

Reply to
HVAC Guy

Is this a red furnace? Cuz my cousins uncles sisters mailman had a red furnace that did the same thing.. He left it be & it worked out just fine. Insurance paid for the whole thing & his wife is now remarried to a wealthy politician. Have someone look at it, cuz a boom that blows out the pilot light might just kill someone. After your rapture, Can I have your stuff?

geothermaljones

Reply to
geothermaljones

When was the last time you had the furnace cleaned? You're describing some kind of delayed ignition. Either that, or gas that fails to light, until it builds enough concenetration to get to a flame. In any case, it's operating well below rated efficiency, and it's costing you extra fuel bill.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

$577.40 retail Steve. 45kbu w 3sp blower rated 3 tones

Reply to
Simon Schnizzard

Bad gas--next he'll suggest to maybe try some Gas X

Reply to
Simon Schnizzard

Actually, that would be two things. Calling a tech doesn't necessarily mean replacing the furnace - unless of course, it's so far gone that even someone who knows what they are doing decides that it isn't safe to fix.

I did find a few references to the symptom you describe..... "explosion, and then it shuts off". This article describes your symptoms as you presented them.

Note that the furnace was inspected by "the gas man" not an HVAC technician.

"...felt the explosion just before the furnace shut off" "Dalbec predicted the investigation would be difficult. Some debris was found one-quarter mile away and there are no witnesses."

Reply to
Mo Hoaner

How about you learn to type first?

Reply to
Zyp

Well there ya go. A 45,000 btu/h heater! A wonderful little appliance for any home.

Reply to
Zyp

I am not HVAC person but I suggest Check you smoke stack it maybe clogged Tony

Reply to
Tony

LOL... Ya think?

Reply to