Carrier vs. Weather King Furnace

Hi,

I'm in the final stages of a home addition, and have come to find out that my contractor installed furnaces different from what the architects plans called for.

The plans were fininshed in 2004, and the architect called for a pair of Carrier 58MCA-060, one for the first floor and unfinished basement, and a second one for the second floor. It seems this specific model is no longer made.

My builder used Weather King instead. In the basement he installed a 93.5 afue unit (to service the basement and first floor). In the attic he installed an 80 afue unit. FWIW, the second floor is actually larger than the first because it sits over a garage. I didn't find anything labelled "model number" so I don't know the model numbers for the Weather Kings, but the yellow afue stickers are still on there (with a long set of numbers at the bottom.) Here are my questions.

I don't know brands, and I've never heard of Weather King before, how does it compare to Carrier?

What kind of price difference normally exists between "comparable" Carrier and Weather King models (for the furnace only, not installation, and sized like the 58MCA-060)? Thanks

mrsgator88

Why would you install a 93.5% furnace in the basement and let them put an 80% in the attic? (90%ers condensate and freeze in the attic). You should have insisted on installing the 80% attic unit in a 90% closet room on the second floor. MUCH, MUCH easier to be serviced that way. Weather King is the builder grade of Rheem equipment. If you want price differences, get a Carrier dealer to quote you a price. It might cost you for the quote at this point since your equipment is already installed. Then start the bargaining process. Depending on how long you stay there, you might want to insist on a 5 or 10 year parts and labor contract.

Reply to
Bubba

The original plan actually was to have the upstairs furnace in a closet, but we asked our builder if he could put it in the attic so we'd get more floor space. We've had difficulty with him, so we were shocked when he agreed to it without a fuss.

We're in the Chicago area, so it does get cold. Are you saying you _can't_ put a 90%er in the attic, or that the attic needs some special outfitting?

I've got the phone number of the sub who installed the furnaces, I think I'll give him a call and ask for that price difference...

Thanks,

mrsgator88

Im sorry to hear that. Most units in attics DONT/WONT get serviced well. Attics are usually very hot or very cold, no light, poor access and not real easy for maneuvering in. THEN, whatever it needs you have to climb back out of the attic and make another trip. The access door usually gets lots of dirty hand prints on it. Anything below it, shelves, carpet, etc will always be dirty. Lots of wall scrapes from all the tools, ladders, boot scuff marks and big ol tech butts going up and down that attic. Out of sight, out of mind. Consider about 1/2 of its useful live gone as soon as its installed.

A 90%er in an attic is usually a bad idea. Its a condensing furnace (water). Attics can usually get below freezing so the possibility of the furnace condensate freezing is highly likely. Dont forget about the A/C attached to it. Done perfectly and you shouldnt have a problem. Regular maintenance on the coil, pan and drain, having an auxillary pan with a float switch in the pan under the unit and all sloped properly help tremendously.

The sub gets paid by the builder so keep in mind who's toes your trying to step on. If the builder is my bread and butter.......you aint getting "jack" from me. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Luckily the attic access is in the laundry room. Attic is stick built, so at least your not banging your head on truss beams. I've seen some pretty tight installations, at least there's plenty of room to work here. All the ladder climbing gets old pretty quick though.

What about the A/C attached to it should I remember?

The whole unit does sit on a sloped pan. Didn't notice a float switch.

Yeah, normally I'd agree, but this guy has P!$$3D off every sub that's been here. The HVAC sub can't stand the GC. On another issue he already offered to "stick it" to the GC if I wanted.

But I think I like Paul's suggestion. I'll give him my number and let him decide what to do about it. Thanks,

mrsgator88

Just remember that water is above your ceiling in the evaporator coil. I havent seen too many that dont leak through the ceiling at some point. Proper access and servicing helps this problem greatly.

Just dont expect any warm and fuzzy answer like, "sure Mr homeowner. Here's $5,000. Have a party with it." Good luck Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

cARRIER SIMPLY CHANGED TO MODEL NUMBER to 58MCB060. It is available Also the 58MSB060 is similar with an insulated cabinet so it is quieter.

Insist on one of those. The 58MCB is the same price as the 58MCA. Hope that helps.

Doug

Reply to
wdgeddes

That does help, Thanks,

mrsgator88

I am not familiar enough with Carrier model numbers to know what that one represents, but if it is one of the low end Carriers it should be pointed out that the Weather King is a far better furnace.Builder grade Carriers are famous for 10- 12 year rust outs and niggling little problems like faulty circuit boards, some of their better ones are not much better. The WK is basically a Rheem with hot surface ignition and less soundproofing.

Reply to
Eric Houkal