carrier code 14 & flame propagation

I have the dreaded sporadic ignition lockout. I have seen what happens. The first three burners on the right all light off. The fourth one has only a 50/50 chance of lighting. Of course, that is where the flame sensor is. Had a service man in today - and naturally it did not do it for him.

I have pulled out the manifold and checked the orifice for #4 burner - it looks fine, not blocked. In fact, once it manages to light it burns just fine.

(This is a Carrier Weathermaker Infinity high-efficiency job - fuel is LPG).

The manual says that bad flame carryover or propagation of flame between the burners could be the problem.

No kidding.

But they don't say what to do about it.

Thanks any info.

Reply to
Kenrad

Your fav local tech will know exactly what it is and fix it for you.

Reply to
Steve

Gee thanks.

He came, didn't see it happen and he left.

Looks like he is going to come back with a new fuel valve, we'll see what effect that has.

Reply to
Kenrad

Gee, when he comes back, and replaces the new "fuel valve", and still doesnt see the problem, Im sure he will tell you it has been "cured" and you will then pay his bill. Then, just like before, it will do it again. Now whatcha goina do? Nothing like a parts changer. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

bet he was the lowest price

Reply to
Steve

Um, that will have no affect. Try cleaning the burners. What's so fricking complicated about that that your pea brain can't figure out?

I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.

Reply to
ftwhd

Maybe I should have been a little more specific....

You fav local, *COMPETENT*, licensed, insured, professionally trained, HVAC Tech,...*NOT* the lowest price.

Reply to
Steve

Ummm - refer to my original posting the oriface for burner #4 is clean as a whisle and, BTW, I replaced the burner tips on all 4 burners with new ones only last season

===>> NOTE TO FORUM FACILITATOR this group seems to provide more insults than help. Was it always this way?

Reply to
Kenrad

So what your saying is that you had this problem last year too and you or some brilliant one decided to replace burner orifices. Now another brilliant one wants to replace the "fuel valve". You must have "lots-o-money". Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Kenrad posted for all of us...

That would be me! I will facilitate clean up. The door is this way>>>>>>>>

Not until you came and things changed, so leave.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Before I leave, just let me say that I replaced the burner nozzels. These are little aluminum tubes with ceramic inserts in the ends - these things are easily changeable and not very expensive. I did not touch the orifices - just verified that they are were clear. It did not noticeably help the problem - but summer came, so I did not do more.

now its winter - the problem still persists, so I called the service guy. He cranked up the pressure a bit and it seems to have helped make the lighting more reliable. But the flames are yellow and probably making soot...

I would rather pay the service guy than listen to certain foul-mouth trouble makers on here. Its too bad really. But I am checking out and you will have to guess what the solution to this problem was. Ciao

Reply to
Kenrad

I've only been approving cheerful posts. Perhaps one of the other forum facilitators has been careless? On behalf of the moderators, we do apologize.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not here... the guy puts a new stat on the wall, resets the flame rollout switch and leaves... next trip, he condemns the furnace. To stupid to CORRECTLY diagnose the problem!

Said the HX had to be cracked and it would be to hard to remove for inspection and there wasn't any other way to verify that it was bad.

So sad... but they sold em a new furnace!

To bad the heat exchanger was fine!

Reply to
KJPRO

Bingo!

Reply to
KJPRO

I don't miss hearing this shit ALL THE TIME!!!!!!

Reply to
KJPRO

I don't guess, I diagnose the REAL problems... Problem is, I can see or check your furnace from my computer screen. Just a minute... let me get the crystal ball...

Reply to
KJPRO

Or the local moron. (but, he's been in business forever!)

Reply to
KJPRO

Yes, it's always been this way.

I invented this NG. Matter of fact, I invented the internet.

PS- We don't even charge for the insults. Feel lucky.

Reply to
HVAC

Yep, you'll be checking out all right, precisley because you and your "tech"are the ones guessingyou idiot.

I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.

Reply to
ftwhd

Reply to
Don Ocean