Subject Author Posted Replies

a smidge of soil science
Cornell has a nice set of publications and lessons on soils and fertilization online. Here are a few, some more in depth than others, all readable: (URL broken, paste back together) Not all state ag...

Lilly barely hanging on.
My wife and I have this lilly, at least she tells me it's a lilly, that is in really bad shape. Every couple of weeks it gets a new healthy looking green leaf. Within a few days, however, this new...
16
16

Pollinating happening without the bees
Have yet to see first bee this season. Seems like a number of wasps are buzzing around garden and apparently ants are pollinating my squash and cucumbers and both seem to be doing well here in...
10
10

Emergency patching of brown area in lawn
We just found out that we have to sell our house by September because of a job change. Our front lawn looks good except for a brown patch near the street, which was caused by someone spilling a...
4
4

Recommended groundcovers
What attractive, flowering groundcovers that grow no taller than 6" (under 3" would be best) would you recommend that will grow well under these conditions: I live in Riverside, California (about 60...
6
6

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Sweet Woodruff
Also known as Sweet Woodruff or Waldmeister in German, this herb is the basis for traditional May Wine. js
3
3

NEED Recommendations under Maple
My wife is on my case to get MORE LONG LASTING COLOR underneath our 60 foot tall maple tree. I have success on the street side of it that faces east and gets morning sun, but the west side that is...
9
9

Applying P & K
A question for people in the know. What is the best time to apply P & K during a plants growing cycle? especially in relation to seeding plants like cucumbers & tomatos or root vegetables like potatos...
14
14

Replacement groundcover
In mid-March, after posting to this forum and reading many responses, I planted 'Blue Star Creeper' in my partly-shaded garden. The garden is 350-feet-square so I cut 612 plugs (each about 2 1/2"...
8
8

Volunteer tomatoes
They're coming up beside decorative plants in large pots. Must have been seeds in the dirt I used to fill pots. They seem very healthy -- almost more so than the ones I painstakaking planted and...
7
7

Strawberry runners
On-line, I read the following: +++++++++=== As runners form from the plant crowns, train along the row and space 6 to 9 inches apart. Press the runner gently into the soil, hold in place with a rock...
9
9

rhododendrons: it pays to procrastinate
I have two huge matched rhododendrons near the corner of my house. Suddenly, this spring, one of them had what appeared to be many dead branches on it. I was devastated. BUT I procrastinated, probably...
2
2

Making A Case For Simple Life In A Small Town - Garrison Keillor
A Case For Simple Life In A Small Town by Garrison Keillor I bought a jar of elderberry jelly and an armload of rhubarb at a small-town festival last week, simply because the seller was a slender,...
1
1

Aloe Vera
I have a metric buttload of aloe vera plants. Is this safe to plant, say, in the vicinity of a lawn, or is it going to try and srpead into it by running under the planter borders? Is this like bamboo,...
4
4

Tree for indoors
I want to grow a Karaka tree (alternate name: Corynocarpus laevigatus; common name: New Zealand Laurel). I want to grow it INDOORS near a 10-foot tall window that gets plenty of light but never direct...
1
1