You KNOW it's too darned hot when...

I have never had Swiss Chard, I have seen it, I even have seed packets of it. I will look forward to growing them next year... Something new :)

Reply to
Nad R

I will pickle them, mostly bread and butter, a few will the refrigerator type, most will use the Water Bath. Some I will slice, some relish, some whole. I always go by the Holy Bible of Preserving Book, it is THE best book out there. "Ball Home preserving book"

have others books, but this book has the details on equipment, food preparation and canning methods. This book is a must have book for preserving food.

Reply to
Nad R

Sounds more like a vinaigrette type (German) potato salad. Mine are usually of the mustard and mayonnaise variety with a little of the "Del Monte" pickle juice thrown in for good measure.

We've only had a few days of warm weather, unlike our brethren east of the Rocky Mountains, where the heat is wicked. Yet to break 100F (38C) here. It is good for living (low 80F) but not very encouraging for the garden, which could use another 10 degrees F.

Reply to
Billy

We mainly make sweet sliced cucumbers (bread n butter style) SWMBO has a great simple recipe if you are interested.

David Hare-Scott

I know that it is hot when the woman next door gets naked on her deck. She has been doing it for years and still hasn't realized that my office window and outside security camera covers her backyard, pool and deck. Or maybe she does know and simply likes to show off. (She has a lot worth showing off.)

Reply to
Elmo

It's a very useful vegetable. The bigger leaves are really tasty if you wash them, shake the water off, dump them in a pot to which some butter and freshly grated nugtmeg has been added and then just sweat themin the most miniscule amoutn of water - often wha'ts left fromt he wahign is enough. Don't cook the leaves in lots of water till they are mushy unless you like to eat green-goo mush. My mother used to cook it like that and it was just so disgusting that it made me want to hurl and it was many, many, many years into my adult life before I would even touch the stuff - now I just love it. And even if the leaves get huge and the white (rainbow) ribs get to be huge, I even love them as I cut the green off, slice the stems, steam them and toss them in a white sauce to which cheese has been added, or just some grated parmesan or whatever occurs to me. And chooks and all forms of poultry just love being given the leaves as a treat. Add to that the fact that it's probably the closest thing to a 'no care' plant, then it's got the be good value in the veg garden.

Reply to
FarmI

> I have others books, but this book has the details on equipment, food

Thanks Nad. I'm rather fond of bread and butter cukes, but other than that, I tend to use them fresh. I've read about the Ball book often but since US preserving techniques aren't the same as I'd use (and I already have a thousand such books), I just can't manage to justify buying it.

Reply to
FarmI

When you say 'vinaigrette' type, are you referring to the dressing on it? I always use a mayo type dressing.

So do you see any evidence that the current 'heat waves' is having any impact on the attitude of the average USian to climate change?

Reply to
FarmI

Yes please. I don't necessarily promise to try it, but it's always worth checking out any new techniques/ingredients etc, that may improve on my current one.

Could you ask her indoors if she has a good recipe for a zucchini pickle while you are at it please? I've tried one sold by a now defunct small deli that has very thinly sliced zucchini in a very clear pickle liquid and it has mustard seeds and onions and, accordign to the label, flour. The flour must be miniscule amount given how clear the liquid is.

Reply to
FarmI

My bad. Back in the day that I ate carbs freely, boiled potatoes, vinaigrette (olive oil, vinegar, mustard, black pepper) and pickles was a common breakfast for me.

Bacon, gherkins, mayonnaise, and mustard

Can't hurt. There are numerous new highs, but no new lows, duh!

The people in Greece, Egypt, and Spain seem to know that they are being ripped-off, and now they have to pay for it again? Show of hands. How many of you think that we have been ripped-off by the government to the benefit of the banks that are sitting on piles of money, yet won't make loans that could create jobs?

Yet, (July 06, 2011) in early April, 60% of voters said (in Boston) finding new energy sources should take priority over reducing energy consumption.  Prior to the latest survey, the number of voters who share that view has ranged from a low of 55% to a high of 68%.  In those same surveys, 28% to 35% have felt reducing the amount of energy consumed should take precedent.

Reply to
Billy

Non what so ever, concerning global warning. One third of the USA are of a strong religious base and are against global warming theory. This same strong republican religious conservative base will not change. in my book these people are destroying this country.

Snip..

Today in the USA, like those in Europe are concerned with an economic collapse. There maybe a temporary solution but getting worse in the long run. In the USA a two thirds majority is needed to get anything done. Not enough votes to raise taxes and not enough votes to cut the budget.

If nothing gets done by August 2, that is the day the economy could collapse. If they do vote for temporary solution the collapse day will be temporarily delayed.

Reply to
Nad R

Well it seems some conservative Republicans want to do that at the moment given the news on the US economic situation. No wonder our dollar is so high against the US dollar.

Indeed. What do they expect to happen in a six month window - a miracle?

Reply to
FarmI

After some reading, In the US the average carbon use per person is on the decline in last few years. In Australia the average carbon use per person is on the increase. If correct, the average Australian now uses more carbon per person than the average person in the United States.

Doom and Gloom, Sky will Fall, Panic and Mayhem, Armageddon...

currency won't be worth spit.

Reply to
Nad R

In a 1 year window, the Republicans hope to beat Obama in the presidential elections. Which is IMHO a charade to make it look like the politicians are really doing something, like a couple of WWF Smack-Down wrestlers before their scripted match. As it stands, the scenario is that the Democrats are crooks, and the Republicans are crazy. The rich own the 5 major corporations that control the media by which we are ill informed , and through bribes (campaign contributions), the politicians. As with our healthcare reforms, I predict that the rich will win the next election.

Reply to
Billy

So it boils down to the Republicans will gut the country, or leave it to the IMF (SAP) to gut the country. Everything will be devalued, and the rich will buy it for pennies on the dollar (The Top 1% wins).

Reply to
Billy

Quick bread and Butter Cucumbers

1 cup = 250ml 20 cups washed and thin-sliced cucumber 4 tsp celery seed 2 tsp ground tumeric 2 tsp yellow mustard seed 6 tsp salt 2 cups sugar 2 cups good white vinegar

Mix sugar with cucumber allow to stand for an hour. Put spices and salt into vinegar, bring to the boil turn off heat and allow to steep for an hour. Add vinegar mix to cucumbers and bring to the boil, simmer for 10 minutes. Bottle hot in sterile jars, pushing down the fruit so it is covered by liquid.

The same recipe works for zucchinis

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

AFAIK, Australia always has had higher per capita emissions than the US. Not suprising given that we are as big as the lower 48 of the US, have a high standard of living, a small population clinging round the edges and highly centralised suppliers.

Where our nations always seemed to be different is that the majority of Australians would beleive that climate change is real and happening. I'm sure there are peope in Oz who don't belive it, but I don't know them. I avoid people whose knuckles drag on the ground when they walk.

> US currency won't be worth spit.

I can remeber well when the exchange rate was .59c Au to $1US and pundits were getting excited about the chance of the $Au breaking the .60c barrier - now the rate is $1.09Au to $1US so a lot of damage has already been done.

Reply to
FarmI

Thank you David.

Reply to
FarmI

After Hot Packing the jars do you put them in a BWB, Boiling Water Bath?

Reply to
Nad R

No. As long as the jars and lids are sterile and you fill them with near boiling fruit it isn't required. If have used this method a lot and never had one go bad.

David Hare-Scott