wkend project, welcome advice

Here is my wkend project. I'm gonna work on the flower bed around the utility boxes on my front yard. Currently, that bed is totally lack of care from the previous owner. It has weeds, some dead short plants, and some wild flowers which I have no clue at all. Anyway, here is what I'm planning.

  1. Today, I'm gonna apply Weeds-Be-Gone to kill the weeds
  2. Then weekend, remove those dead plants.
  3. Put down some rich soil to give extra nutrition to the new plants.
  4. After I put down the new plants, then I'm gonna do mulching Any advice is appreciated.

For the new plants, I don't have much idea what to do. I'm in zone 6 and that flower bed has full exposure to sunshine in the morning. But in the afternoon, the house blocks the sun, since the house is east-west direction. I really like some easy-to-take-care-of perennials. I think lily is a good choice, right? Anything else? Thanks

Reply to
NetComm888

First of all I would skip the Weed Be Gone. As I recall, it is for use in a lawn, but I never buy the stuff. Unless the bed is enormous, I would just remove the weeds mechanically with a hoe or by pulling. Even if you kill them with a herbicide, you will still have to remove them. Also, I doubt that the WBG will kill them in 24 hours. I would also double dig the area instead of simply spreading soil over the surface. Since it is around utility boxes, you have to be careful. I cut the neighbor's cable line doing that and I had some landscapers cut my phone line.

It would be very difficult to suggest perennials. I would recommend that you go to a nursery in your area and gets some annuals. Over the next few months, do some research on perennials and decide what you like. Very few perennials will give color for more than a couple of weeks. Planning a perennial bed takes some effort. You have to consider bloom time and color, size, foliage color and texture, and cultural requirements such as soil and moisture conditions. Fall can be a good time to plant perennials and you can often find them on sale at the end of the season. You might also order a catalog or two to get some ideas and information. I like Bluestone Perennials

Vox Humana