window box recommendations

I am already thinking about spring. This year I am going to put up two window boxes in the front of my home. The problem is that it gets only a tiny bit of sun in the morning. It's north facing with trees overheard.

So can you guys recommend what I can plant in them. Impatiens and wax begonias I already know but I was hoping to get a bit more inventive. Any rec's for something viney or cascading?

Thanks. Bonnie in NJ (zone 6b)

Reply to
Bonnie Jean

Ivy, vinca or lysimachia for viney, trailing type plants. Annual lobelia does very well in low light conditions as well and you might want to include coleus for some dramatic foliage color. And don't forget fuchsias.

You don't have to restrict your selections to annuals. There is a wide selection of shade loving perennials you could include, too. Some of the smaller hostas, ferns, primulas, heucheras, astilbe, saxifrage, even some grasses could liven things up a bit and be a departure from the typical impatiens.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Romy