Wierd insect...

Latley I have been seeing these flying insects that look like bees but are quite a bit fatter, and have black and white stripes instead of the usual yellow. Anyhow, I was deadheading my butterfly bush and its covered with lots of big fat bumble bees, and the above described insects are actually flying arround the shrub and hunting them out. When they come across a bumble bee, they fly into them and knock them completley off of the flower! I saw this happen several times and it was not just some random thing. Anyone know what the heck is going on? Im kind of curious.

Toad

Reply to
Marley1372

Is it this?

TC

I dont think thats it, the abdomen on the ones im seeing is alot fatter than that, and the thorax is very small. They have several white stripes down thier black abdomens and they are very agressive.

Toad

Reply to
Marley1372

Thanks for the link, but that isnt it either. I managed to swat one of them to the ground to have a look and it looks exactly like a white faced bee but these are much too big.

Toad

Reply to
Marley1372

I think what you are seeing is one of the bee flies.

Reply to
Beecrofter