Wicked Plants

NPR - 2009's Crop of Great Gardening Books

"Wicked Plants: The Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother and Other Botanical Atrocities" by Amy Stewart (Amazon.com:
"Consider yourself warned," writes Amy Stewart. "Within the plant kingdom lurk unfathomable evils." Bram Stoker meets Agatha Christie in this sophisticated little brew of botanical boogiemen. Fatal fungus, suicide trees and deadly nightshades are the characters in Stewart's cleverly designed overview of poisonous plants. A dead serious writer enchanted by "the plant kingdom's criminal element," Stewart's wonderfully illustrated book is less a warning than a history of plants that have, for millennia, insinuated their perilous tendrils into our unsuspecting lives.

Book excerpt:

DC

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

The message from "David Hare-Scott" contains these words:

I bet you hadn't heard plants are criminals and moral degenerates, either. Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Most people do not appreciate that since plants cannot run or fight like the animal kingdom, poison is their biggest defense.

Reply to
Frank