What would eat or carry off a bumblebee nest?

The nest was in an old 2lb coffee can out next to the garden. I saw the bees and pushed it out in the open to deal with later. A few days later I noticed it was gone. The can was 98% empty. What the heck could do that? I have never seen a bee nest disappear, although I know mice will chew on them.

Reply to
Dave

Skunks, most places. Bears, in bear country.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Skunks They also eat honeybees and will tear into a ground nest of yellow jackets for a feast and they are immune to toad venom.

Reply to
Beecrofter

Amazing!

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Teenagers are notorious for this type activity, they seem to be immune to any kind of common sense. ;-)

John

Reply to
John Watson

...and they often smell worse than skunks.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Interesting. Bee venom too? I remember now reading that they were a problem for beekeepers but I did not realize this was a true specialization.

Reply to
Dave

Nah they get stung just like you or me, what beekeepers do is put their hives up on blocks so the skunks have to stretch out to reach the entrance and their underbelly is exposed which is easier to sting. They aren't immune to bee venom they just find a few stings to be worth a full belly.

Reply to
Beecrofter