What kind of flower is this?

in a marsh in the Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania. Thanks! (Link will go dead after identification.)

Reply to
geoff.oxholm

It appears to be an iris, looks to be a beardless one, probably a Louisiana iris that someone had planted in their yard and that got away in a flood or by birds. Very common around SW Louisiana where I live and I just pulled out a 33 gallon garbage bag of them along my driveway.

George

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
George Shirley

Here in Kentucky we have small patches of wild iris that looks similar to the one you've pictured here. Purple is the only color I've ever seen of this type iris and they are much smaller in size than the varieties grown in garden's and flower beds.

did a quick Google for Pennsylvania's wildflower site but it was a bit more difficult to use than the Kentucky website.

JD

Reply to
JD

Could be Blue Flag - used by the indians as food. Blue flag likes swampy areas to grow. So that's my vote! Also, folks used to take the leaves of the blue flag as it smells real sweet and use them as Bible markers on Sundays as it smells good and keeps the person awake to smell it.

Reply to
glenon

yes for sure an iris ... and yes looks like a blue flag (a little small on the flower but possible) but for sure some sort of siberian beardless Iris .

Iris for sure most likely siberian ....

Reply to
cerwin