We are beginners, trying to plan Fuschia...

So we've planted a couple fuschias on 2 different sides of our house here in the norhtwest, and we're not sure if they will survive or what to do. We planted them with miracle-grow soil from a bag, and watered them, it's been about 4 days, and they seem a bit limp. Is this ok, do we just need to give them time..should we ad fertilizer, mulch, more water, something else?

Reply to
alice

Give them some time. The soil should be damp, not wet. No more fertilizer until they get going good, the Miracle-Grow soil already has enough for them now.

Depends on where you are in the northwest, they will probably need protection from the cold this winter and from drying winds now. A light misting of the leaves helps a lot.

Reply to
Charles

We're in Tacoma...it's been cloudy lately, but very little rain. They certainly don't look dead or dying, they just aren't doing much so we're holding our breath. Thanks.

Charles wrote:

Reply to
alice

Hardy Fuchsia? Or the more commonly available fancy sorts? And where in the PNW?

I prefer to plant hardy fuchsias in the spring and let them settle in during the cool rains. I've always planted in native soil, topdressed with lots of compost.

In the last couple of days we've had cool drizzle in the Portland area, nice for plants you've just set out, but you still will most likely have to be careful about watering -- most don't much care for going bone dry. Frankly, at 4 days post transplant in summer, I'd expect them to look a bit shabby, but not too awful. I'd certainly mulch, and probably give them some supplementary shade if at all possible, till they get their roots under them a bit better.

The common fancy sorts that you see in baskets need a lot more water and shade than the hardy sorts. I've only grown them a couple of times and again, I've made my baskets in late winter/spring.

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Are they hardy Fuschia?

Reply to