Water-loving plants

I live in zone 6 and live in an area where there is a fair amount of standing water that results from considerable snow-melt or heavy rains in Spring and Fall. The standing water is not unusual, as I see similar pools on my way to work through the various surrounding neighborhoods. In the summer, the area is typically dry like any other area in the zone with sporadic showers (droughts are infrequent).

A friend, albeit from a very different zone, suggested looking into plants that would thrive in such an area, but didn't really know what types would be viable in zone 6.

Does anyone have any advice and/or know of resources (websites, books, etc.) that you would recommend I consult on such plants?

Thanks in advance, Dave

Reply to
tom_sawyer70

For a book, "Encyclopedia of Water Garden Plants", by Greg and Sue Speichert, ISBN 0-88192-625-6

I used Iris pseudacorus to dry up a spot where the company's air conditioning system drained.

Reply to
Charles

If there is at least a few hours of sun, there are draught-tolerant grasses such as fescue or other decorative grasses. Water mallow and pussy wellow will tolerate some flooding. Test your soil to narrow your choices.

Reply to
Phisherman