Venus Fly Trap no Longer Moving

Hi all,

I am having a problem with my venus fly trap.

Normally it will eat bugs just fine. However, recently the mouths will not close at all. They won't even move. There are about 4 on the plant right now fully grown.

The plants seems to be doing fine otherwise. It is an all around good green color, and it has actually been growing 2 new mouths very quickly the past few days.

Can anyone provide any info on why the mouths are no longer working? It doesn't mean it's dieing does it?

Thanks for any info!

Reply to
sdshfs

It's probably full, how often have you been feeding it?

Reply to
Glenda

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

The traps often seem to have only a set number of snaps in them. If they're "teased" to show visitors they can move, that wears them out prematurely, & puts the whole little plant at risk. When the trap "freezes up" from fruitless teasing, it also ceases to excrete the digestive enzymes, so even if you hand-fed it a cricket, it might not do any good; the act of closing on its prey is what starts the enzyme process, not that it needs to close entirely, but it needs some action.

The second problem is they are so often grown indoors where humidity is too low for them, so that eventually the jaws are too dry to function. A completely closed terrarium usually has sufficient humidity, or a belljar that fits snugly over the entire pot. An aquarium pump set up to pump air inside a completely closed terrarium helps fight off the possibility of plant-rot. Most instructions never suggest a pump, but warn that the terrarium needs to be partially opened for air circulation. But an open lid doesn't really induce air circulation though it does cause the humidity level to drop far below optimal.

A third problem is they need a winter dormancy. Some people dig them out of the terrarium & store them in the refrigerator crisper for two or three months, or the whole terrarium placed in a dim unheated garage for the duration. In a terrarium at room temperature year-round, they eventually wear out for need of a winter dormancy, yet this essential part of their care is often overlooked as boring.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat