tin cans

The geraniums we grew last year in 5 litre paint tins were noticeably superior to those grown in plastic or terra cotta pots. I wonder whether this is to do with being metal or the fact that they are straight sided and present less area at the top for evaporation. Anyone got any thoughts?

Reply to
stuart_noble

stuart snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Possibly the extra heat conducted by the metal stimulated extra root growth.

Reply to
David Bockman

Or maybe they like the faster cooling at night. They certainly need less watering, so I'm sure it's something to do with moisture retention. I'm going to try a straight sided plastic container this year to see if it's the shape that makes the difference.

Reply to
stuart_noble