teenager keen to learn the art of gardening

Hiya everyone, my name is Tom, I'm 16 years old, from London living in Ireland. I'm a keen koi keeper, and have developed an interest in plants. I'd love to learn some more about gardening and landscaping in general, can anyone suggest what would be a good plant to start with. thanks Tom

Reply to
koi boy tom

sign into rec.ponds.moderated. I have veggie filters for my koi and live in Milwaukee where "Sweet Water"

using fish "water" as nutrients for growing veggies in filters.

My koi are very happy with the veggie filter clean>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Reply to
dr-solo

Start by going to the local public library for books on the kind of plant you are interested in, or general gardening books. Find out what will do well in your climate and soil before setting your heart on something impossible.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I would add, get a soil test kit first thing. If you can, you might also start composting any vegetable matter from the kitchen. Compost will enhance _any_ soil and it can be as easy as just tossing the scraps onto the same spot every evening (along with grass clippings and such). Or you can go hard-core and spend time turning and aerating and watering it. I bought a couple of recycled plastic compost containers and while I am not nuts, I do aerate it occasionally.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Everything is connected to everything, so it really doesn't matter where you start. Pick something that you want to grow, and grows well in your region. I suspect a trip to a nursery/garden-center would give you an idea of what is available. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

"A garden is a grand teacher. It teaches patience and careful watchfulness; it teaches industry and thrift; above all it teaches entire trust." - Gertrude Jekyll 1843-1932

Reply to
Billy

Since you're a koi boy perhaps the most logical route is for you to delve into and focus on water plants. "Koi Boy Tom" is a good name for a pond business... you'd be in deep doo doo business wise were your name Christian.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

A waste of time and money at this stage. Commercial DIY kits are not very accurate anyway. Time for chemistry later, learn basic gardening first.

Very good suggestion.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Really? Serious question here: the least koi boi should know is the pH of the soil. That would determine whether he (she?) needs to add lime or not. Are the commercial kits so far off on pH they could give him bad advice?

Thanks

Thanks again.

Chris

Reply to