Strange observation about corn snake

A corn snake was taking a leisurely stroll through the garden last night. It was content to take its time, until I started pestering it.

When it moved fast, it turned over onto its back and sped along with its shiny gold stomach upward. When it stopped, it went back right side up. I watched it do that several times.

It was surprising to me that it would do that. Has anyone else observed a snake doing that?

Reply to
Dusty

I've never seen any snake manage that trick although some dark colored types, a northern or southern ring neck snakes for example, seem to occasionally 'flash' their brightly-colored bellies momentarily before trying to 'run' or bluff. I guess that this move is supposed to surprise a predator.

Reply to
John McGaw