Snow!

Plowable snow here this morning in Central Ct. - gardening season is over :( J

Reply to
JCMumsie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

wow..........and here I'm waiting for that first really hard freeze to kill the perennials. I've never seen it take this long before here in Eastern Tennessee, and in Middle Tennessee, it would have already come by now. madgardener

Reply to
madgardener

Connecticut

Reply to
madgardener

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnojunk (JCMumsie) expounded:

Yep, 4" here, plows are out, trees are coated with white....it's gorgeous! :o)

Reply to
Ann

NOthing here in Toronto area,,,so far

Reply to
Paulo

We got 1 1/2 to 2 inches in the Hudson Valley of NY...

Reply to
Tom Randy

And everyone has forgotten how to drive? I certainly noticed a few people that didn't own snow scrappers on the roads.....

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

And let indoor gardening begin :)

Reply to
Phisherman

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

What amazes me is that snow makes headlines here in New England. I'm sure the snow will be the lead story on the news tonight, people are continually surprised, I guess, when it snows in winter around here!

Reply to
Ann

When I got my russian shepherd puppies early this year, everything was covered in snow, and they LOVED it. They'd play in the snow. Then to rest, forget the warm, cozy indoors, they'd go lay in the snow to rest. They would NOT walk on the sidewalk - only the snow. When the snow started receding a few months later, they weren't sure of all of that other stuff that became visible. For a short while, they wouldn't even walk or go to the bathroom on that weird "ground" that they'd never seen before. Then, of course, came spring, and they soon learned that sniffing the ground, eating grass, and chasing bugs were pretty fun, too.

So, a few weeks ago when we got the first small snow storm of the yar, we woke them up during the night and took them outside to see the world "as it should be" again. They walked out the door, froze in place, looked around with expressions of mixed surprise, awe, and delight - and then went CRAZY running and playing in it. It may have only been 3/4", but it was heaven to them.

Around here, people are complete idiots about driving in the snow for the first two snowfalls, then they suddenly remember how to go about it sensibly for the rest of the winter. Yet the next year, for the first two snowfalls, they're complete idiots once again.

steve

Reply to
Steve Wolfe

I'm also here in the Hudson Valley. Nice to meet you Tom.

Reply to
Marg

Ann,

What you say is SO TRUE. One would think that New Englanders would come to expect snow when the weather turns cold. Let me tell you about people who don't know how to drive...PERIOD. I moved from Massachusetts to southeastern Virginia. It's totally amazing here...Rain, Sunshine, Snow...doesn't matter...there's generally at least one major accident a day in this area. Last week I saw a vehicle that had flipped on it's roof on the interstate on an absolutely beautiful, cloud-free sunshiney day. When it snows, things get cancelled. Four inches can shut this area down for a day. I'm hoping for a little snow. My dogs love to play in the snow...when we get some. One of them I brought down with me so she's had the pleasure of playing in snow after a major dump (12-24 inches).

Lynn

Reply to
LFR

Same here Marg! Small world!

Reply to
Tom Randy

I'm in West Tennessee and we haven't had it yet either. The darn grass is still growing and I already winterized my mower!

Reply to
SVTKate

Lynn, it can't be ANYTHING like California drivers.

Reply to
SVTKate

Every place has bad drivers, they're just different. California drivers are bad drivers in different ways than Nevada drivers, who are in turn bad in different ways from Idaho drivers, who are in turn bad drivers in different ways from Virginia drivers, who are in turn bad drivers in different ways from D.C. drivers, who are in turn bad drivers in different ways than New York drivers.

I haven't visitted every state in the nation yet, but of those that I have visitted, I haven't yet found a place where people are predominantly *good* drivers.

steve

Reply to
Steve Wolfe

We got 3" here in MA. No problem. Ground is not frozen and the snow insulated our lettuce from the 15F temperatures the next night. Some lettuce under row covers was squashed by the weight of the snow on the covers, but it tastes just fine. I expect the snow to disappear over the next few days with the expected temperatures in the 40's and 50's. The ground isn't frozen, so it won't be mud season just yet.

Covered the carrots and beets with leaves. I'll be digging them until March. (After that, when the ground starts to warm up, the root crops start to grow again and use the sugars stored in the roots, so they're not as good, although still edible.)

I've tried to store the carrots in wet sand in a cold place, but they get wimpy after a while. Much better right out of the ground. However digging carrots in 10 degree weather is not quite as enjoyable as digging them in the fall.

Reply to
dps

For that reason I always recommend you turn on your lights when driving. Not so that you can see better, but so the other person who hasn't fully defrosted their windshield can see you. This is particularly applicable to the morning commute.

Reply to
dps

But winter's still more than a month away!

Reply to
dps