shrub recommendation - salt tolerant, arborvitae like

I originally was going to put in a line of Arborvitae pyramidalis (emerald green) along the east side of our church, but some more research showed that the salt from the parking lot could make this a poor choice. Can anyone point me to a shrub similar is shape (upright, 3-4 ft diameter, good for a hedge perhaps eventually) that is more salt tolerant? We're in MI, zone 6.

Thank you! marcos

Reply to
socram

Good question I do not have the answer. It is often the salt spray in the air that does the harm. Tree near fast moving cars would have more mist in the air.

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

I don't have a specific recommendation. Escallonia is a salt-tolerant shrub (forming a hedge that I have around my garden in the UK), but after a little googling, here are links to a couple of pdf files that may give you some ideas about a variety of salt-tolerant shrubs.

galyles

paste these two lines back together:

or go to:

using one of the calcium-based deicers, too.

Reply to
Kay Lancaster