Sexing ginkgos?

My adjoining neighbor has a large female ginkgo tree, which that means every year I get lots of stinky fruit along one side of my yard. Also, I have hundreds of ginkgo seedlings every summer. Another neighbor would like to grow some ginkgo trees from seedlings, which I could easily supply, but for obvious reasons she wants only male trees. Is there any way to tell the sex of a ginkgo seedling?

Thanks in advance, Helen

Reply to
helco

brianflay

It would be a laboratory procedure. You would need to count root tip chromosomes. That's not something the average gardener is equipped to do.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

The other option of course is to buy the rare cultivar that has both sexes on one tree.. Jim

Reply to
Jim W

The message from snipped-for-privacy@macunlimited.net (Jim W) contains these words:

???? She wants a male-only tree because then there will be no stinky fruit.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

It takes about 20 to sex the tree, by that time the fruit is there. It's a crap shoot.

Reply to
animaux