Scent v perfume v fragrance

I often find the terms are very loosely used and confusing.

What do you guys think?

I always think of.........

Scent: something that you can only smell If you sniff a flower directly. eg, primroses.

Fragrance: is stronger than scent and can be smelled without sniffing a flower directly, say in passing close to a plant. eg, roses.

Perfume: Is the srongest and can be smelled from a good distance away. eg honeysuckle.

Reply to
Drobium

The dictionary description of Scent is "Discern by smell." So I'd agree with this as you'd have to sniff something, to recognise its smell.

Manufacturers describe their perfumes as "fragrances," so take your choice there. I'd consider "perfumes" as specifics and "fragrances" as a collective noun. I'd personally use either scent or fragrance describe the scent of wisteria blooms in the air (of which we have many). But I don't think it really matters which word you use. I just enjoy the sensation.

Reply to
Doghouse Riley

I think you meant to post in alt.english.usage.

???

Reply to
despen

That's what I was thinking.

A skunk has a scent and can be smelled from a good distance away, but you would not call it a perfume ;)

Reply to
Frank

Wouldn't that be aroma... and I don't mean some unbathed dago! lol

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Lot of us aren't fond of you either.

Reply to
Frank

Bordering on intolerant.

Reply to
Billy

How about gaucy?

gaucy: fat, comely (pleasant to look at; attractive), jolly.

Reply to
Billy

Ask me if I care what yoose Life-Of-The-Party pointy headed imbeciles think... not that yoose are capable of thinking... especially you, Bullylgoat Schtink. Notice your initials...

Reply to
Brooklyn1

I have to surmise that you are one of these posters that get their jollies by getting responses. Print this out and do what you will with it.

Reply to
Frank