Re: Tainted Soil

I thought this might be of interest.

While I was browsing, I came across this site

which sells plants that take arsenic from the soil. They are also experimenting with plants to remove such contaminants as lead and uranium. I think it's pretty cool what they are doing.

Initially I found reference to it at

The downside to this is the minimum order is 30 plants at $4.95 each bringing the minimum order price to a whopping $148.50 plus shipping/handling!

I initially built my raised vegetable garden with treated lumber. I > know, I know... please save your darts; I am already wounded and > require no additional flogging. I read multiple sources that said it > was okay, but in retrospect the only ones I recall that okayed it were > the government and the companies that produce treated lumber. > Everyone else says it's not worth the risk (or much harsher things). > > So, that said, my garden has been around about two years. I'm going > to replace the wood borders this weekend (if anyone has a > cost-effective alternative, I'm all ears -- I like the pastic lumber > but can't find anyone that sells it in the Dallas-Fort Worth area), > but my next question is regarding the soil. Is it tainted, or can it > be salvaged? It's good stuff, too. > > A local expert here says its possible to 'detox' the soil with > something called NORIT (also mentions something called zeolite), but I > don't know: > > 1. What that is > 2. Where to get it > 3. Will that really work, or should I toss the soil along the border > and start anew? > > Also, depending on the cost, it may actually be more cost effective to > remove the [potentially] tainted soil and start anew. > > I'm really bummed. I've been eating these vegetables for two years... > > Thanks, > Chris
Reply to
tmtresh