Re: Pruning oregano (and other herbs)

Back when my mother was alive, she was able to take a small pot of

> oregano from the nursery and grow it into large perennial shrub that > we could harvest from all year. > > Now that I've got a home and garden of my own, I've been trying to do > the same thing. My last several attempts have been pathetic failures, > however. I generally buy a well established pot of oregano, transplant > it into a larger pot, and let the plant grow. > > Unfortunately, what generally happens is that rather than sending up > new stems to fill the new pot, the old stems simply get tall, the > lower leaves die off, and the plant gets leggy. Early in summer, the > plant goes to flower, and what was once a robust (if leggy) plant > rapidly dies back. > > Lately, it has occurred to me that I really ought to be pruning the > plant if I want it to expand into a large bush. However, I know very > little about pruning techniques. Where and how much should I cut back > and when? > > Right now my present oregano plant is fairly tall but leggy and going > into flower. If from this point I want to train it into a large shrub > that will fill the pot I've transplanted it into, what steps do I > take? > > Also, are the pruning techniques for oregano generally applicable to > other herbs? > > Thanks, > Peter
Reply to
J. Lane

I have a Purple Ruffles Basil that I bought more for the garden and than the kitchen, it just started blooming. Can I just deadhead the flowers?

Janine

Reply to
jrstark

HI Janine, Been my experience that once it flowers, it's too late to get the full essence of the herb. You can still prune or harvest it, but the strength of the flavour won't be as good. I've mass harvested flowering and non flowering herbs. Cut them down to 4 or

5" from the base of the plant and snip off any flowers, tie the stems together, hang them upside-down to dry, and remove the dried leaves from the stems over a cookie sheet. Put >
Reply to
J. Lane