Re: Monarda Fungis / Spray

Hi Ralph

Get your fungicide and a wetting agent (dish soap) and spray several times. You won't hurt the bees.

Derryl snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca

Hello again. > > We have lots of Monarda in large beds spread around a large garden. I have > never had trouble with the fungus, or whatever it is, that I have heard > about, until this year. > > I am in the area of PA that is seeing rain *every* day since it was snow > every day and what was our most lush garden ever is now starting to turn > brown with this fungus looking stuff. It started on the Monarda, but is now > starting to spread to the coneflowers, shastas, rudbeckia, comfortplant and > more... and at an alarming rate. > > The nursery has suggested something called Comdaconil (sp?) that I have > never used. I'm not that concerned about using chemicals, if that's what it > takes to stop this now (at this rate I may only have 2 or 3 days to act), > but I am concerned about it's effect on bees... will it harm them? > > I have a large vegetable garden on the other side of the property that is > just now getting around to producing (as it took so long to get soil dry > enough to work) and cannot afford to lose the bees. If it is not harmful to > the bees... can I use it directly in the veggies, as I'm getting a bad > fungus situation over there, too. > > In all my years of gardening, I've never dealt with this kid of persistent > rain. It is not like it is way above our usual amounts... it's just that it > is every day... the ground stays saturated constantly and I'm using boards > to walk on when I get in there (as little as possible) as this much water is > already bound to turn our heavy soil to concrete. The result is that > everything in both gardens is getting sick, and I'm almost surely going to > have to resort to chemical help. > > >
Reply to
Derryl Killan