Re: english ivy & deer

I pruned my english ivy back and want to throw the excess over the fence. Is

> it bad for deer to eat this? >

I just think that they don't eat it.

-kim

Reply to
Kim

I don't have to throw my English ivy over the fence. The deer usually prune my ivy down to the ground during the winter months. I wish it was bad for them, but I try to make it untasty with various applications.

Reply to
Phisherman

No, but unless they are very hungry, they won't. So, unless you want it there for a while, don't throw it over the fence.

Chris Owens

Reply to
Chris Owens

You should probably check with your neighbor before you toss it over the fence. He just might toss it back.

Reply to
Gary The Rookie Farmer

The message from Chris Owens contains these words:

(sings)

Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy; A kid'll eat ivy too Wouldn't you?

Deer relish eating ivy once they get a taste for it; it's nutritious. IIRC, goatkeepers feed ivy to ailing goats.

In our last garden I had a ruined railway goods van which was nicely covered in ivy, until the local deer tasted it and ate off every single ivy leaf below 5ft :-(. It was winter but no snow and plenty of good grass and other browsing herbage.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

No, but unless they are very hungry, they won't. So, unless you want it there for a while, don't throw it over the fence.

Chris Owens

Reply to
Chris Owens

Cow pasture behind us about 200 acres of nothing.

Reply to
Mogie