PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Asparagus

Everyone knows what asparagus looks like but the fun aspect of this picture is that we picked it this morning before breakfast.

What we then did with it is the subject of the last picture of this series.

js

Reply to
Jack Schmidling

On Tue, 01 May 2007 18:31:57 -0600, Jack Schmidling magnanimously proffered:

What beautiful soil you appear to have. Are you near a river?

PS - My wife and I have been staying in the Vale of Evesham in Britain's Midlands at the start and during the asparagus season, bought it freshly picked from the farm and had asparagus every night. I could never have enough. Next season (we're in the middle of Autumn where we live), I'll try it in an omlette.

Reply to
bob

Nice looking asparagus and great looking omelet!

Jill

Reply to
jmcquown

I imagine all yoose gals enjoy watching those asparaguys grow. lol

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon

They are very tender and worthwhile to cultivate. My sparrowgrass is still babies. I also did not like the stuff frozen. We did not blanch however and that may have tainted the batch. Edrena

Edrena

Reply to
The Joneses

Huh. I've never thought of doing a fermented pickle with it.

B/

Reply to
Brian Mailman

Forget the asparagus, I'm very, very impressed with your spinning and weaving in the Fibre Crafts section of your site. Now that is talent!

I also spin (but use wheels) and have just begun to weave. Lovely site.

Reply to
FarmI

With an asparagus patch that big and apparently that successful, have you ever thought of growing some part of your crop as white asparagus? Apparently it's quite simple: you merely cover the spears so light doesn't reach them. In Germany, where white asparagus is about the only kind eaten, they do it by mounding mulch over spears. This site,

by a guy in Virginia, talks about putting a box over the spears. I've heard of a combination of mulch and some kind of basket (over the mulch) as well.

Reply to
Rudy Canoza