"Pets Poisoned By Common Plant"

Article about Sago Palms particularly but has looooong list at the end of plants poisonous to pets

that list, it is amazing I can keep any cats alive...

John in Houston, where Sago Palms are everywhere

Reply to
Tex John

It's pretty much a useless list. The mix deadly poisionous plants and mildy toxic ones and plantsthatsomeonereadonanotherlistsomewhere, with little information about how toxic they are.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I rely on "Plants Toxic to Animals" by the University of Illinois at . Some (but not all) listed plants have details about which parts are poisonous and symptoms of poisoning.

Reply to
David Ross

All my dogs are taught to simply *not eat plants*. Any, none, nada on the plants. Course they are most often supervised and not left alone outdoors for extended amounts of time.

And to beat that they aren't allowed to walk on mulch either- keeps 'em out of the plant beds. As my favorite bumper sticker reads- "Don't complain... train!"

Reply to
Toni

FILM AT ELEVEN!

This is old news, cowboy.

Most cats are smart enough not to eat toxic plants.

Dumb dogs will usually swallow anything before checking it out.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Cats don't need to be trained. They will sniff plants and if they are not agreeable, they will avoid them. The prefer using most plants as shade and only chew certain grasses as a hairball purgative. Catnip is another story altogether.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

"Cereus-validus....." wrote in news:UXQOd.3489$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

yah, but it's amazing how many people look at the greeny hairball & deduce that the plant *must have been poison* to make Fluffy puke :p the indoor cats get rye greens. the outdoor cats eat whatever they want. cats need grass to clear up hairballs & all cats get them. odd that no matter how much catnip, fresh or dried, they eat it still doesn't make them puke though. lee

Reply to
enigma

You saying cats don't party till they puke?

They will get down with their buddies late at night when their owners are asleep, at least the outdoor sorts do it on the sly. You're not supposed to know about that but they do get especially rowdy when the females are in heat.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Thanks for the reference to the University of Illinois toxic plants database. It looks like an excellent reference, both for veterinary medicine and for our own back yards. Although these plants are not necessarily "weeds", I intend to add this reference to my list of weeds resources on the World of Weeds at

Ray

raycruzer