Peroxide and Gardens

If you never used hydrogen peroxide in your gardens, you should look into it.... I have great success. Mildews gone!! Great for mini ponds to. Seed germination up 20%, use as a organic insecticide, stimulate fast growth... the list just goes on and on.

3% and 6% food grade available for shipping anywhere in the USA and Canada. 1 gallon shipping costs 7.00 to 9.79. Go to the address below:

Respectfully Dale B.

Reply to
NewsGroups

Didn't we have this posting last year?

Reply to
David Hill

He's selling.

Jim Lewis - snipped-for-privacy@nettally.com - Tallahassee, FL - Apples and Oranges: A Demonstration -- Welcome to Hooterville! Population:

2000. Elevation: 3000. Established: 1850. TOTAL = 6850 -- Bob Lilienfield
Reply to
Jim Lewis

Well...just in case you don't know...if you just let peroxide after being opened sit around unused (like for a year or so), it turns into plain ordinary water and loses all its potency. Whence it needs renewing (like every year or so)....

Reply to
Lawrence Akutagawa

Hydrogen peroxide is used commercially for fungus/mildew/bacterial control on plants. There are two formulations (trade names) available: Oxidate and Zero-Tol. Oxidate is labelled for vegetable crops and Zero-Tol for ornamentals. I don't see much difference between the formulations in the listing of ingredients. They're basically 27% hydrogen peroxide with some peroxyacetic acid added as a stabilizer. It comes in 2.5 gallon containers (smallest size I've found, about $120). One of the demonstrations of the product is a fish tank with an 0.1% solution and fish (live). Don't try that with your bottom feeders, because it kills algae, which is a good part of what they're eating.

For use on plants, it is diluted by a factor of 100 to 300. The stuff you can get in the grocery store is about 3% concentration, so it should be diluted by a factor of about 10. If you go to a discount grocery/pharmacy, a quart of the 3% stuff costs around 75 cents, for about $3/gallon, significantly cheaper than the original post. At that price, it's cheaper than the commercial stuff. Commercial users, however don't have to deal with the 100 quart bottles for the equivalent of their 2.5 gallon container, and that (plus the stabilizing additives) is worth the price difference.

I have used it for several years and one container lasts me about 2-2.5 years before I've used it up. It is easy to check the activity just by adding some full strengh liquid to an organic soil. It will fizz. (I occasionally check this accidentally by spilling a bit during mixing). (This is of course a qualitative test, not quantitative). I have not noticed any degradation of the product after the 2.5 years of storage. (This is the commercial stuff, not the home-use stuff; the home-use stuff is so cheap you can afford to buy a new bottle each year. Use the leftover stuff on your teeth.)

The product is effective against powdery mildew and anthracnose. An advanced case of powdery mildew takes several applications. A really advanced case might not be worth curing, since the plant is probably too heavily damaged by that point.

Reply to
Dwight Sipler

Unless you have the exact formula for your pond, you could/will throw Ma Nature into a very bad retaliation phase...Barley Straw is best for controlling pond algae.Stays dormant until algae starts to bloom then releases hydrogen peroxide as needed when breaking down...Long winded scientific data on this, but short & sweet, its safer....Then when its done (lasts about 6 mos but varies w/temp) use the leftover in your plant beds...Great stuff....

Reply to
Kevin Cutlip

So barley straw breaking down releases hydrogen peroxide? That's what kills of the stringy green/black algae in ponds .. and swamp coolers a.k.a. evaporative air conditioners?

I had read somewhere that barley straw keeps that stuff down, or kills it, but didn't know why, so putting some peroxide in the water in the cooler should kill the stuff too?!

Woo.Woo.. that would be good, because she can't put the cooler in a shaded area, so the sun beating on the cooler on top of their trailer soon starts smelling like that "swamp" and she's sensitive to that kind of stuff.

When I first saw the peroxide and gardens subject line.. I thought.. naw.. they gotta be kidding. Wish I'd known and will have to look further because of all the claims of controlling mildew and anthracnose as anthracnose is in the soil here and it attacks tomatoes, and may have killed the neighbor's tree. Although, at the dilution rate of plain old household peroxide.. just doesn't sound like it would do anything. Particularly mixed with chlorinated water..would think that the chlorine in the water would have some "bleaching" effect if it's strong enough to kill fish. Which of course it is. The main water after plants are up and it's warm enough that our irrigation water is in the ditch, I don't use much chlorinated city water. I like the $11 to $15 a year water bill of flood irrigation ;-D

Janice

Reply to
Janice