Pernettya (prickly heath) help!

Can someone please help me!!! I was brought 4 pernettya for my birthday which I have brought large pots for but I am unsure of what soil they need! Everything on the internet says they need peat but is this a mixture of compost and peat or just peat? Another thing no matter how hard I look on the internet nowhere sells peat!!! I've searched for a very long time and given up now - is there an alternative? Sadly I cant just go to a local nursery as I am housebound so the internet is my only way of buying the soil...

Many thanks, i'm going crazy ;)

Reply to
paradox.09

Pernettya are members of the Ericaceae or acid loving plants. Peat IS acidic but insufficient both in texture and nutrient content to be used on a stand alone basis for containers. Most potting soils are soil-less mixes that are peat based, however many have also been treated to bring the soil acidity closer to neutral. Look online for acid lovers soil mix, or use a regular container potting mix supplemented with peat. Peat is readily available through a number of online sources, so I'm not sure why you are having difficulty locating it. Try searching under 'sphagnum peat moss". Elemental sulfur will also lower soil pH to appropriately acidic levels but use sparingly.

And here's just a couple of potential sources:

gardengal