Peach Tree Borer Treatment?

Anyone know what the current recommended treatment is to PREVENT peach tree borer attacks in the West Texas or Desert Southwest region?

I know Lindane used to be effective but it's been banned by the EPA. Ortho's big insect book which the nurseries keep for reference says use something with Carbaryl (otherwise known as SEVIN?). But their web page only lists Bug-be-Gone MAX. The MAX label boasts that it controls over 100 different insects, including peach tree borers but it seems to me that something developed to be so universal probably wouldn't be as effective as a treatment specifically developed for the borers.

Reply to
joshhemming

The treatment is more of a timing issue so the Sevin would still work well for the borers even though they target many other pests. Malathion probably has the same treatment options but it won't last as long and a follow up treatment probably would be in order. Early April is the time to inspect where the trunk meets the grass and remove the cocoons by hand.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

Yes

proper pruning rather than improper pruning. Also proper planting also reduces such borers opposed too improper pruning which can increase chances.

I have seen long columns of wood that was perfect on trees improperly planted. Borers love it when trees are planted too deep. Especially the prunus family.

Go here and go to the bottom of the page. This tree was planted a foot too deep. This wood is what borers go for.

So what's the treatment. Proper planting and proper pruning which will greatly reduce borers or better said, improper planting and improper pruning greatly increase you chance or borers as well as a list of other problems. This was a good question.

heres a list of impropers that lead to borers as well as other problems.

Many tree problems are associated with the following:

Troubles in the Rhizosphere

Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
and Look up "Tree Planting"
Mulching -
and
Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruning

Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist
Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

Also Less than 1% of the insects and fungi are harmful to humans. Think about that when you use a product that kills everything.