Owl ID

I couldn't find a suitable binary group for birds, so I posted 'which owl?' to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. A friend sent me photos of owls in her back yard. What a treat!

Reply to
Frogleg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Your friend can go to

and search by zip code for birds in her area. They do ask for an email address, but a fake one works just fine.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Frogleg wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Looks like an immature Great Horned Owl to me.

top picture

've got some other pictures of bubo virginianus, but they don't look anything like the one in the link. They've got some mp3s of owl noises, if that helps.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

We have a Great Horned in our yard. It lives in one of our live oaks. I hear it every night. It scared the crap out of me one night when I was taking a very late (2am) hot tub. I couldn't sleep. It swooped down near the pond silently, which is right next to the hot tub and we both freaked out! At first, I thought it was a bat, but there is no mistaking this huge specimen of perfection.

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?

escapee

I'll send her there. It's a great site. I've used it many times to ID local plants & birds.

Reply to
Frogleg