OT Hummingbird sequence

This is a four page site on the nest of a hummingbird. Check it out.

's not the season for hummingbirds, but the site is fascinating. I particularly appreciated it because although I have fed hundreds of hummers over the years, I have never been fortunate enough to discover a nest.

John

Reply to
B & J

David Hill

Thank you very much for that. I wonder if the sibling was just pushed out of the nest.

Fito

Reply to
Fito

All I get is a blank window.

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

It was great to see. If you want me to try to send you the link via email, let me know. Sue in Mi. (zone 5)

Reply to
SAS567

John that's a great site and wonderful photography. What is the most common reason for the hatchlings to go from two to one. Survival of the fittest or predators?

zhan

Reply to
zhanataya

My supposition, Zhan, is that this is a survival of the fittest situation and not predators. Baby hummer are much too small to satisfy a predator with one mouthful. :(

I apologize for not replying sooner. We returned from an eight day tour of China, today, and the single child concept was expounded on by our three native tour guides while we were there. It's a fascinating country, but the value of the male is in full force. If the first child is male, the family may have no more children. If the first child is female, they family may have another child to try for a son, but if this child is female, the family may have no more children. One of our guides was a third daughter, who described herself as an illegal child. The government made it extremely expensive for her family to educate her and penalized her family for keeping her. BTW, she was an extremely intelligent young woman who was on her way to Stanford on a full scholarship.

John

Reply to
B & J