Organicide info request

I found a product at Home Depot called Organocide, which is 5% sesame oil and 92% edibal fish oil and 3% lecithin. Supposed to control a wide variety of insect and diseases. Anyone have any experience with this product?

Reply to
Ook

Sounds like stuff I ingest every day. By fish oil I assume you mean rich in Omega 3.

I think you live under a bridge.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner
:

I know what fish oil is. I know what sesame oil is. I also know what lecithin is. What I don't know is what experiences others here have had using this mixture in their garden for insect and disease control. Anyone else?

Reply to
Ook

This is going to work by coating the soft bodies of insects - especially the young - and suffocating them. To the degree that any of this stuff works, it doesn't just work on the insects you want to get rid of, but on all insects. It also affects the birds that eat the insects.

It might be a better idea to ask yourself why you are trying to kill things in your garden. If you wait and do nothing - and if you garden organically throughout - the balance will be restored and you won't have any problems. Or so I have found.

Reply to
Sparky Organic

I have this same experience. Never used a thing in the garden and I have tons of beneficial insects, snakes, a birds. I do have a bit of tolerance for some limited damage to my plants and started eliminating plants which seem to be unhealthy.

Reply to
Jangchub

I got it because it works on powdery mildew. But I don't want to kill any insects, I have plenty and they don't hurt anything. Since it's contact only (I hope) I should be OK, I only used it on the leaves of my squash plants.

The only insects I want dead are yellow jackets. We have bee sting allergies in the family, and the yellow jackets can get a bit obnoxious this time of year. I have a paper wasp infestation, but they are quite gentle and don't do any harm (unless you are a slug or some other tasty bug).

Reply to
Ook

Maybe what I need is a insect friendly recipe for powedery mildew? I'm loosing my squash and pumpkin plants because it's so bad.

Reply to
Ook

For other alternatives look at pesticide.org and ergonica.com.

-- Dr. Yucca: A perfect garden is blessed with irregular upsurges of th> >>It might be a better idea to ask yourself why you are trying to kill

Reply to
raycruzer

Maybe bordeaux mix? I don't think it will hurt the insects much. But if used heavily over a long period the copper may accumulate in soil to a point where it becomes toxic to the plant. I think sulfur would also be effective.

Reply to
sassman1

I had that on my zinnias when I lived in South Carolina. I sprayed them with a half-and-half mixture of water and 2% milk, no kidding. It worked very well - I sprayed again after each heavy rain, and presto.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
Sparky Organic

It doesn't know what it's contacting, and while it's wet it's toxic. I don't know how long it persists after it's dry, or how it biodegrades (if it does). I'd suggest trying the half-and-half water and 2% milk spray, which seems to work very well on powdery mildew. The other thing I've heard about is to somehow increase the air circulation around affected plants, usually by thinning them out and/or removing surrounding plants which might be holding in moisture.

Reply to
Sparky Organic

I'll try that in a few days after I see how they are doing. I keep hearing about the milk mixture - can't hurt :)

Reply to
Ook

Hi, I've never used Organicide for powdery mildew although it claims to be effective. As insecticides go this one is not very toxic to humans or unsprayed critters and does not require federal EPA labeling. In severe aphid/scale infestations on valuable plants, Organicide can be very effective. It can bring the Asian cycad scale under control and scale do not develop resistance to it. RTL HTH -_- how No NEWS is good.

Reply to
how

Sparky, I can get raw milk from a local dairy man. How would I mix it with whole milk? Thanks for any help. Doris

Reply to
instdofsaks