Opuntia, prickley pear fruit?

So I was walking the dog the other day, and saw a prickley pear growing at the corner of someone's lawn. It had borne fruit.

So here's my question: Can I grow prickley pear from seed?

And if its not convenient, is it too late in the season to start a pad? I'm in Western Virginia, so our nighttime temps have been in the 30's, and don't appear to be increasing.

I will of course ask permission of the owner if I can take a fruit or pad.

Thanks for your advice.

Reply to
Robert the Bearded

Of course, you can grow Opuntia from seed.

Its obviously too cold now in West Virginia to do anything pertaining to plants outdoors.

Do it next spring after all the snow has melted and the ground has thawed out.

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

Until next year then.

Reply to
Robert the Bearded

Reply to
madgardener

and did you know that the pads can be pealed and fried like potatoes, among other culnary delights?? lee/leo

Reply to
tvksi

P.s. they are called Napolitos (spell??) lee/leo

Reply to
tvksi

That's Nopales

Thay have nothing to do with Naples, Italy.

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

Lets just say they can be deep fried, pan fried or even baked.

They taste nothing like potatoes no matter how you cook them.

Reply to
Cereus-validus-...........

thanks.. I really get my a's and o's mixd up as have never been able to learn Spanish. My Mexican friends are a lot smarter than I as they can speak both Spanish/Mexican *and* English and even my English is not near perfect 8?)

I used to cube a few pads and fry them, but could not seem to acquire a taste for them as, like okra, they have a lot of slick juice. I never knew how to prepare them properly. I tried washing away the slick juice, but didn't like the outcome. I can't even eat okra unless it's dipped in cornmeal and fried and can no longer eat fried foods. --lee

Reply to
tvksi