One or two plants per hole? (tomatoes, peppers, etc.)

I've heard that you can maximize yields by growing two plants in the same hole instead of one. I have a lot of tomatoes and peppers where there are two side by side, and they seem to grow fine...so far. Is this true, or should I go and thin them so that there is just one of each in each hole? Any practical advice?

Reply to
Matthew Reed

One plant per hole. If you heard the "two per hole" idea from a person with whom you come into contact often, and need to be polite, just nod & smile when he/she tells you things. And, pass along this tidbit to that person: A duck's quack is one of a very small group of sounds which cannot produce an echo.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

One plant with all the water, sun, and nutrients in its root system grows better than two plants sharing root space, water, nutrients, and sun space.

"Two plants are worser than one." (...I had to say it... )

Reply to
hob

Ack. . I guess I need to thin my plants out. I have two beautiful tomatoes side by side. Not to mention a bunch of tomatoes and peppers growing in pairs. Are there any known exceptions to this?

Reply to
Matthew Reed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

Lots of absolutes in gardening have exceptions. One way to discover them is by experimentation. Leave your plants as they are and see what happens. Naturally, you'll understand that unless you also grow identical varieties the "regular" way (one per hole), it won't be a truly scientific evaluation, but if the results are good enough for you, that's all that's important.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom