Oak Leaf Hydrangea

"J. Davidson" wrote in news:Y9roe.4331$R21.3682@lakeread06:

No, they are relatively carefree, provided they are grown in moist, acidic, freely draining soil.

Reply to
David Bockman

Are these plants finiky? I learned the hard way that they resent transplanting. But I would like to have some, and I want to know if the mature plants are as difficult to care for as the babies? Jackie in zone 7

Reply to
J. Davidson

Not at all. They are native plants and do very well in all types of soil. They prefer to be in more shade where In am in the south, so I have three of them growing under the canopy of a 150 foot wide oak tree canopy. They are in very calciferous soil, but are mulched well and have ostrich ferns, cycads and other native ground covers as their companions. They can take a year or so to establish and they do need a bit of watering when it is extremely dry. Mine are flowering now.

Reply to
Bourne Identity

Reply to
J. Davidson

I would answer "yes" (plus, the bark and dried flowers are interesting in the winter).

Mine gets a short blast of sunlight in mid-day with some dappled light in the morning and shade from a building in the afternoon, growing sandy soil.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz