Noisy squirrel in my attic. How do I get it out?

Hi folks,

I have an unwanted visitor in my old house. The door of attic is sealed off with concrete and wood, I can't get in unless I drill it open.

Inside is no light just the wooden roof frame and some old wood lying around.

Now something is running around. We have lots of squirrels here. And it sounds like one. Running fast and suddenly stopping. It wakes me up in the morning when I would like to sleep.

What should I do? Did you ever had a squirrel in your attic? How did you get rid of it?

There are these battery operated rodent repellents. They make a certain high pitched noise and the rodent allegedly runs off. Does this work also with squirrels?

Thanks in advance. You advice is highly appreciated.

Gene

Reply to
GeneCook2008

If you can throw some mothballs around up there he will soon vacate and you wont be bothered.

Reply to
Jack

Mothballs are a bust. I had one in my attic and he used the mothballs for a pillow. Sprayed pepper spray in hole during day sealed access hole with plastic and next morning he was back. Had to set large wire animal trap every day for about two weeks with peanut butter. Tried smaller wire trap and he kept getting bait. He got the bait out of the large trap several times until I fine tuned the trigger and lubricated it with WD-40. Was going to shoot him in the face after I caught him but he stood up on his hind legs held onto the cage like a convict and begged for his life with quiet little woof sounds. Figured if he was that much of a man I would relocate him. Closed up hole with temporary patch in case he wasn't alone but have not had any new squatters. I have several of the sonic wing dings but they are not effective.

Reply to
Quaker25

Rig up a hi-fi and play some Rick Astley music. No-one, and no-thing, will stick around for that... (-:

JD

Reply to
JakeD

Beware. You mustn't shoot squirrels out of season or without a license.

Reply to
HeyBub

here's a nice one

geez most of you must get you jollies by killing life for no reason.........

trap and relocate, seal up holes.

its really your own fault for having a insecure building.

d con might leave home stinking for months, if animal dies in wall.

and why is the OP report he sealed off the attic entrance with concrete and wood?

its a good idea to check places like attics yearly, for roof leaks and other hazards

Reply to
hallerb

I've had good luck with this;

Meat Plow

You could try getting him a one way ticket to Argentina.

Reply to
hot-ham-and-cheese

I had a problem with possums in the ceiling cavity a few years back. It didn't worry me, I can sleep through any noise, but it drove my wife insane. Tried the electronic repellent - didn't work. Finally solved it by opening the manhole and chucking the cat up there. Left it there all day. Cat had a ball and the possum/s decided it was time to relocate.

Mack

Reply to
Mack the Knife

It all depends on the laws of your state. In my state (MI) you don't need a license to hunt small game on your own land. Further, if an animal is a pest it can be dealt with.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Use a wire trap and don't relocate the pest. They are clever and determined so seal up the attic really well.

Reply to
tmurf.1

Hmm. Makes sense that the state would have facilities for relocating a destructive deer or moose or even a mountain lion. They certainly do it for alligators in Florida.*

So, call your state game and fish commission and demand they relocate the pesky squirrel(s).

That's what your tax money if for (tell them)!

-------

*Though not Louisiana. I recall an interview with the governor of Louisiana when a reporter suggested that animal preservation activists were opposed to an open hunting season on alligators.

"Well, son, they don't know nothin' 'bout gators! We's lip-deep in gators down here! They's lined up on the side of the interstate just a-waitin' for somebody to have a flat! You gimme the names of some of them folks up in Massachusetts or wherever and I'll SEND 'em some 'gators. We's got lots!"

Reply to
HeyBub

Makes sense that the state would have facilities for relocating a

alligators in Florida.

offending alligators in florida are all taken away and killed. theres no where left to relocate them too.........

Reply to
hallerb

Reply to
none2u

Reply to
none2u

I'm experiencing that feeling myself.

A rag soaked in ammonia, worked for me.

Reply to
Billy

Good on you for relocating him.

Respects

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Shoot, shove, shutup

Reply to
Gunner

The toxilogical method of D-Con tends to make the critters very thirsty, and they head for a source of water.

I used to find them face down, in .5 " of water with great regularity.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner