No More Veggies in Pony Packs?

Hi, Used to able to buy Pony Packs of (6), and also of (9), (at Walmart). Now, can't seem to find any Pony Packs.

Was it greed on the part of the growers? Now they only sell the expensive individual plants and very limited in selection.

Next year...on the window sill using seeds.! That'll wise them up!

Comments anyone?

Mike Picture Rocks, AZ

Reply to
Mikie

Uh, yeah, but maybe not what you wanted ...

That's what you get for shopping at Walmart

Are there no plant nurseries in beautiful Picture Rocks? Or any home owners' places, that often have a nursery attached to the store? I regularly see pony-packs in nurseries, and also in homeowner's places like (sob) Home Depot, Lowe's, places like that? Any of the above within a reasonable drive? (sorry, I don't know your geography down there)?

What about shopping for live plants on-line? I have never tried it, but somebody else might have experience. I realize that shopping on-line for pony-packs is probably not an option

Finally, I cheer your decision to start 'em on the window sill. You could buy commercial seeds, of course, but here's a thought: There's a lady in Canada who offers enormous selection of seeds absolutely free. Seeds that she harvests from her plants and prepares for shipping. She has sent me seeds that have done well. If you want her email. I'll ask her and post if she agrees.

Good luck!

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

They are still available around here in six-packs, but the big box stores seem to be going to larger individual plants. Why sell six plants for $1.89 when you can sell one for $3.49? I see the same trend in annuals. Stores are selling larger plants for a lot more money. One of our old, established nurseries has discontinued selling annuals in flats. They only offer annuals in 3" or 4" pots. Along the same line is the "proven winner" scheme where rather ordinary plants are sold in 3 inch pots of some unusual color for several times what they are worth. I can only conclude that that pink plastic is expensive because the plants aren't anything special.

I have my Thompson and Morgan catalog next to the bed. I think I am going to try starting my own annuals next year. If it doesn't work I won't be out more than $20.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Have you used T&M seeds in the past? If so, what were the germination results? I tried them about 10 years ago and the results were hideous compared to seeds I got from Burpee.

Reply to
Doug Kanter