Need help with Grandma's cannas

My grandmother has a cluster (approx 6ft diameter) of beautiful cannas in her front yard. There are probably a few dozen cannas in the group and I'd like some advice before I move them for her. I'm not much of a gardener and have no idea of whats the best way to go about it, or when is the best time to do it. I'm in inland Southern California, so ground penetrating frost isn't much of a problem. Here's a pic of Grandma and her cannas that I took yesterday (I think she looks pretty good, considering she's just a few weeks awy from her 98th birthday):

The petals are just now beginning to thin out and drop and a few of the lower leaves are starting to deteriorate. What's next, do the plants die soon? Should I wait until they die before I dig up the bulbs? How deep are the bulbs likely to be and how many can I expect to find for each plant? Can I just pull the stalk up bulbs and all, or should I dig them out? Is it OK to immediately replant the bulbs, or is there a better time of year to do it? Any tips for how to replant, such as how deep, how far apart, etc? Can you think of any questions I forgot to ask?

I'm sorry to post so many questions, but she *really* likes her cannas, and I know absolutely nothing about them and don't want to botch the job. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Bud

--

Reply to
bud hufstetler