Need help identifying herbs

Charlie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Opposite leaves are a trait of the mint family as is the square stem, as far as I can recall without actually going out and checking out the garden. Did you plant catnip? Or maybe cat mint? I can't see the pics so I'm just guessing, of course.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

No, it was bee balm, at least that was what the labeling said it was. I have gotten mislabeled pots before. It is not flowering yet, I planted it late last year (one of those really late sales at garden center) and it didn't bloom last summer.

I'll go take a pic and put it up on abp.gardens.

Done.

Crap.....I was/ am in a hurry. The photos are friggin' huge, I forgot to reset the camera or resize the jpg. the first time. The second post is a little smaller, but still kinda large. Two shots per message.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Charlie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com: [..]

I can't get abpg. I've asked XNews to get it but it's not up yet. At least the ID problem is solved!

Reply to
FragileWarrior

plant.http://www.henriettesherbal.com/pictures/p05/pages/echinacea-purpurea...> tm

Well I did go out and look at my echinacea, and I am sure that this will help a lot>>>>>>>>

Mine has BOTH opposite and alternate leaves. So another characterisic 'might' be needed.

One nitpicking fact, there are no Blue Jays in Calif. They will be either Steller's or Scrub Jays. You really don't want to get rid of them; they are masters at locating tomato worms and eating/feeding them to young. They also warn other birds of the presence of cats. Besides they are big clowns and are great fun to watch.

(I cannot get alt. bin. etc so that's as much help as I can give.) Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca

Konichiwa Charlie, but spend money Charlie? Are you mad? Have your tires come off their rims? It will probably happen when Lovey-poo gets me back in harness. Had lunch under a tree and watched the Canadian geese and, duck swim around in the lake. The menu was as previously stated. Got to the cinema early. Had some coffee and a short nap. "Paris, je t'aime" is a crazy quilt of short stories, some sad, some funny, some weird. I strongly recommend it. Personally, I was bordering on the verge of melancholy. Travel is an expensive addiction.

Got me some marigolds for the buddha on the front walk.

Gonna have to get to fixin' the garage soon though before the whole damn thing come crashing down.

Gotta run. Time for digestives. Alla vostra salute.

- Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

Reply to
Bill Rose

Yes, I know what you mean....... but I possess "The Golden Card of Grandchild"! ("Yes dear, but it is *really* necessary for the grandchildren")

Bwwaaaaahhaaaaahhaaaa.......oops! Sorry!

It sounds as if you had a lovely day, given digestives are necessary!

Marigolds! Love 'em and so useful. This year I added a couple new varieties, one African and the other a double-pinwheel. They are a very tall variety, which I had not noticed before. The Africans are supposed to be around four feet tall and the doubles as well. They are already about a foot high and growing like crazy. I'll put up some pics when they are in their glory.

We always plant lots of the petite varieties in every little space in the garden and tuck them in pots when possible.

Give Buddha a belly-rub and Lovey-poo a kiss.

"cento di questi giorni!" Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

In article , FragileWarrior >> >

Frag, mint it is but I can't find a description that mentions pink leaves (most are green) or lower stalks being pink. I really thought you had it because I unsuccessfully started some last year. So it is a very good guess. I don't think it could have crossed with anything in the yard because it never got to flower. It's getting late. I'll re-examen tomorrow.

Thanks,

- Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

Reply to
Bill Rose

Thing is the base of my stalks are pink and if you look closely you will see five or six pink leaves. No obvious mint smell or taste to the leaves.

- Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

Reply to
Bill Rose

Friends of ours had a tree where a mockingbird nested for 3 years in a row. I could have listen to that bird all night. The drive to their hour took us by fields with a small brook, where deer would be grazing in the long shadows. That and the food that our friends made, made every other Sat. an event that I awaited with great anticipation. Mockingbird left, friends left, deer left but I still do the Sat. night barbeque. I'd love to listen to a mockingbird again.

Bill Rose

Bill Rose wrote in news:rosefam-DD4294.13255001062007 @cor8-ppp5025.per.dsl.connect.net.au:

In what part of the country do you have mockingbirds? Do you plant stuff that will encourage them come 'round?

I saw my first hummingbird yesterday -- a nice Ruby Throat male. I was so thrilled I could have kissed his pointy little beak. I know in groups they are really not a nice bird but I love their little humming souls.

Reply to
FragileWarrior