Natural Redhead

Natural Redhead:

brooklyn1

get some pictures of the Mourning Doves and I just might have fixed something up yesterday that will allow me to get closer to them. Birds are such gifts from God.

Donna in WA

Reply to
Irondale

That's a cardinal.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Can't distinguish shadow from black pigmentation, but it closely resembles a male Northern Cardinal, to my old eyes. It's a fairly commonplace non-migratory North American specie found east of the plains states from Southern Canada southward well into eastern Mexico. I feed them year-'round down here in Florida. They share an outdoor feeder with my house-yard cats and take the occasional garden tax, which I certainly don't begrudge them.

Well, there seems a pretty good chance that God had little to do with European starlings and Cedar waxwings ;-)

Reply to
<balvenieman

It is amazing and wonderful to see the working elements of evolution :)

Reply to
Dan L

Definitely.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

very handsome.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Knowing you are Down Under (if you're the same David H-S that posts on t.o., anyway), let me say that I got rather jaded by our cardinals and blue jays here in NY. After all, my mom was a birder, had feeders in the yard, cared for injured birds and small mammals (really bad ones we sent to the amazing Bird Lady who lived near us- see

had Jays eating off our hands before we were 10 years old. It wasn't until I traveled to Oz and NZ for an ornithology conference, when Southern Hemisphere types pointed out to me how really pretty and colorful they are (in a wistful, sort of "Wish I had them on my Life List" tone of voice) that I could really appreciate them again. They ARE pretty.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Yes I live in the land of parrots as Attenborough puts it.

let me say that I got rather jaded by our cardinals and

and had Jays eating off our hands before we were 10 years old. It

Every day this week I have seen from the house eastern and crimson rosellas and galahs eating grass seeds from the pasture that isn't mowed in winter. These are a riot of colour contrasting with the more formal pied butcherbirds and kookaburras that sit eye-balling the same grass from the power pole and the naked fruit trees.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Reply to
dr-solo