Mushrooms I dont want

Can anybody advise me I have a very sunny south facing garden all lawn over the last few days it has been infested with small 2" tall white mushroom/toadstools they form in patches about 3 feet across. HOW DO I STOP THEM FROM GROWING!

Help

Reply to
Sean

You don't. You go read a book, and the mushrooms will go away all by themselves. They are not a problem.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Reply to
Sean

Reply to
Sean

Oh. I get it. Anyone who has knowledge that you don't must automatically be on drugs. That makes perfect sense.

If you've never noticed the life cycle of a bunch of mushrooms, you must be a brand new homeowner. Try observing before trying to find a magical solution for everything.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Some things that might stop them.

1 Stop watering your lawn

2 Make the rain stop

3 Dig the area up & remove all traces of any wood, be it construction debris, tree branches, old roots, etc. Mushrooms thrive on buried rotting wood.

All three options will basically ruin your existing grass.

Cutting your grass a bit shorter than normal *might* help, allowing the sun to dry the soil more quickly. Unfortunately this is also not too good for the lawn.

I've heard a golf club is a somewhat entertaining way to remove them (grin)

Reply to
newsreader

With a 5-iron. HTH ;-)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Reply to
Sean

Ah yes, the classic new home construction type soil. I unfortunately know that kind of soil all too well. Expect mushrooms for quite a few years to come.

They are a somewhat good sign, as they indicate good natural processes are going on underground to help the old wood decompose.

I went out with my string trimmer yesterday. We had had about a week with rain almost every day, and the grass was very tall, still fairly wet, and had lots of mushrooms of all shapes & forms. The weedwacker made short work of them, and splattered me with mushroom muck on numerous occasions.

David in MD zone 7

Reply to
newsreader