Moonflower question

I've had a hard time getting my moonflower seed to germinate. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Gary

Hi Gary, Best to nick the seed and soak overnight before planting.

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt

bona-nox?

I nick them first, soak them overnight in a weak bleach solution, and germinate them on kitchen roll dampened with that solution in a small pot covered with cling film. The key is that they need warm, humid conditions until they have their cotyledons open, but are very prone to rotting if they get too wet or too cold, will not manage to break the hard seed if too dry and don't like it too hot!

So I plant then as soon as a root starts to develop, and take care until they get to that stage. Once they have got their cotyledons open, they are rarely much trouble (except for red spider mite).

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
Nick Maclaren

Reply to
kamir

Here in Colorado (high desert, Zone 6), my experience has been that moonflowers don't need any encouragement. The lady that we bought our house from had planted moonflowers and they became quite invasive. It took about 5 years for me to irradicate them, and even now after 15 years, I still occasionally see one pop up. Assuming we are talking about the same variety, I'd advise caution. :) Gary

Reply to
Gary