Month 10? of killing Bermuda Grass

Last year started with glyphosate, it all looked dead but slowly started to grow again. Spot sprayed it many times. Sprayed entire area 5 times, still new stuff coming up very, very slowly. Did some reading on the subject. Now fertilized it with only nitrogen and watered. It's coming up fast now, almost time for more roundup. Hopes are for the nitrogen to make lots of new growth only up top so the roundup can then kill the weakening roots, tubers, and whatever else makes this stuff grow like the national debt.

Still fighting, Tony

Reply to
Tony Miklos

are you using any wetting agents so that it sticks on the plants?

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Yes, I forgot to mention adding ~1 tsp dish soap/1 gallon of glyphosate mix. It works well. Doesn't bead up and roll off like the first application.

I really like the latest method, I think it may work. I think it's going to suck the life out of the roots. If I had to do it again I'd also start in the spring instead of the fall.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

the fall would be ok for some species as the plants that are perennials will be taking more from up top and sending it down to the roots. since that is how glyphosate acts it probably doesn't hurt. the trouble is if it gets too cold too soon for active growing.

i'm not sure how much bermuda grass sets seed (i don't have any direct experience with it here)? we have had some invasive grasses try to come in, but those i was able to take out after a few years of digging. not much likes being uprooted and left in the sun to bake.

takes consistent effort but eventually the will prevails.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Gawd I hope so. I have a ~ 1300sq' area in front of my house that has been mostly brown since early last fall. Right now the nitrogen and the rain has the nasty stuff growing again in small patches. In a few days it will get the glyphosate again. Then keep watering unless it rains. Sooner or later it should suck the life out of the roots. The stuff is so strong that after heavy traffic walking on the dead stuff all this time it's still not down to dirt or mud. It would be great stuff if it didn't get into everything it's not supposed to.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Tony Miklos wrote: ...

what are you doing in its place?

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Grass, yes it's plain and boring but I have enough other "stuff". I'd do clover but grandchildren (and me) , bare feet, and bee's don't mix. (I suppose I could pour concrete! ;-) ).

First lots of rain kept me from spraying it then I had to go away for a few days. Finally got to it today, I'll know in a week how well I'm doing. Spot spraying another couple weeks... or months. It will be at least 8 weeks before I plant anything, I want to be sure it's gone!

Tony

Reply to
Tony Miklos