Mealybugs

I have a mealybug problem with my houseplants and wonder if someone can offer some suggestions on how to get rid of the pests?

These are the white mealybugs. I had to throw out 5 or 6 large Diefenbachia plants because they were so infested that it was hopeless.

I have a few other plants infected with the mealybug but it isn't out of control yet and don't want to lose the plants.

Using hydrogen peroxide with cotton swabs just isn't practical. It takes forever just to do one plant.

I bought an insecticidal soap and have been using the spray once a week on the plants, but the mealybugs still keep coming back.

I read about using biological control (beneficial insects) and would like to explore this avenue if possible. Is it practical for indoor plants? How do you go about the process?

Where do you find ladybugs in the freezing snow and cold now here in Canada? How do you release ladybugs so they stay on the plant in question and not fly away somewhere else?

Thanks in advance! Eric

Reply to
Eric G

Acephate or Malathion will wipe them out, repeat in a few days. Alcohol will control them, keep it off of the soil.

Reply to
bamboo

Thanks Gary for your detailed instructions. I'll have a go at it.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G

Thanks Bamboo. You don't think attacking the roots is also necessary?

Eric

Reply to
Eric G

You probably would do good to stir up the soil a bit and give it a decent spray , just don't get alcohol in the soil as it will kill roots.

Reply to
bamboo

OK thanks. Got it.

Eric