lawn question

I have been trying for a couple of years to get a lawn to grow. I have tried several different seeds and fertilizers. nothing seems help. I have noticed in the huge bare spots a black or dark brown film on the dirt. I live in Alabama and wonder if anyone can tell me what this black film is and is there a fix Pat

snipped-for-privacy@cableone.net

Reply to
pat

Check with your local extension service. They should be able to help.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan