Lawn Pests: Leaf Hoppers

I've had what I believe are leaf hoppers on my lawn for several weeks now. Step into the grass and hundreds jump up to get out of the way. They're green, tiny and look almost like miniature grasshoppers. Large head, triangular body. About an eighth of an inch.

I've tried the soap spray but to no avail. If I used a power mower that sucked the clippings into a bag I'd probably be on top of it population wise but since it is a small, 100 sq. ft area I use a rotary push mower. I don't see any birds looking to use them either, I surely don't have a need for them...

Any suggestions?

jhultman

jhultman writes in article dated Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:19:25 -0700:

Relax and have a cold drink. Assess the damage they've done so far. Your choices are live with them or poison them.

--Thundermaker$yahoo.com (Spud Demon) The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Spud Demon

I'll stock a supply of cold beverages for the weekend. I've not seen them anywhere else in the yard or vegetable garden. So as you say, I'll just live with them. The yippy little poodle across the street is more annoying. I'm not going to hose the lawn down with anything that might take out anything beneficial and really toss things into chaos...

Thanks for the reply. Jeff

Spud Dem>