Insect I.D. please

This morning while I was hoeing my garden, a beetle type insect came out of the soil the likes of which I've never seen. It was about 5/8'

- 3/4" long, a two-sectioned body, and the color all over was a bright limey, chartreuse green, very shiny. No other color. Can anybody I.D. it from this brief description? I'm in northwestern Connecticut.

ctlady

Reply to
ctlady

Sure sounds like a Japanese beetle:

now is about when they first emerge in your area.

Reply to
Sheldon

Sheldon expounded:

I've never, ever seen a JB as big as 3/4".

Reply to
Ann

There are tens of thousands of named beetles. This could be:

iridescent greenback dogbane beetle green tiger beetle

Any number of beetles. Do a search on green beetles.

Reply to
jangchub

Maybe... Caterpillar Hunter, Calosoma scrutator , but it's just another "guess".

Lar

Reply to
Lar

If this idiot is right then you have a really good chance of being hit by lighting right now.

- Billy I mean dumb.

Reply to
Billy Rose

Is it really necessary or helpful to call names to posters who are trying to answer a question?

It is entiriely possible that this is a JB. Perhaps the OP or the answer are bit off on their size estimates. The OP clearly posted

5/8' when she meant 5/8". Certainly a JB can be nearly that big.

The color description can also be the result of a slightly errant observation due to lighting, reflections, etc. JB have an "irridescent sheen" that can give the appearance described or close to it. Have you ever seen an emerging JB?

Lighten up and be learn some polite conversation skills.. John

Reply to
John Bachman

Good morning,

Your insect sounds more like the green June beetle, Cotinus nitida, which is about 3/4 inch long. A simple Google search should bring up a picture to compare. Related to Japanese beetle and similar pest qualities.

n Peace,

Russ

Reply to
Russ

OK John, I'll put it back in the holster. My conversational skills seem to reflect the tone that I hear. But this jack-ass started it by disparaging another poster here and refuseing to state the reasons he had in disparaging JoeSpareBedroom. Joe don't need my help. The little bugger just ticked me off but it's always nice to hear from you.

Finally, getting some heat here. 95 F for the last three days. Plants are startin' to jump. Thinkin' I'm ready for some morning fog again.

Shouldn't you be getting back to hoeing your rocks?:-)

- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
Billy Rose